U 1403 Code

Penni

i keep getting this code on my truck.... it is

"implausible fuel level signal received"

however in conjunction with this code the instrument cluster lights dim and then get really bright and the same thing with the headlights.... its getting annoying, as i just keep clearing it over and over and the lights in the dash are getting annoying. i searched in this forum and didnt find anything on the topic.

so, from a pretty reliable source i have been told that i need a factory reflash.. which was quoted to be $100... does the price AND action sound right?

got this from CF

U1403-IMPLAUSIBLE FUEL LEVEL SIGNAL RECEIVED

When Monitored:
Ignition on.

Set Condition:
The fuel volume message the ECM is receiving is implausible. The circuit is continuously monitored. One Trip fault.

Possible Causes

CAN B OPEN OR SHORTED

CLUSTER MODULE

TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE (TIPM)

ECM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

Theory of Operation

The Totally Integrated Power Module isn't receiving a fuel volume signal over CAN B from the Cluster Module. The TIPM has to send the PCM a fuel volume signal over CAN C. The signal the TIPM sends over CAN C is implausible.

Diagnostic Test
1. ACTIVE DTC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool read DTCs.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes

Go To 2

No

Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure.

2. CAN B BUS HARDWARE DTCS ALSO ACTIVE

With a scan tool check for DTCs in the FCM (TIPM).

Are any CAN B Hardware related DTCs active at this time?

Yes

(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING) for the appropriate diagnostic procedures.
Perform BODY VERIFICATION TEST – VER 1.

No

Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Back