U Joints Going Out ....

KillerQuad

M. Tyler Moore
Ok, i have had a vibration and now i got CLUNKING going into gear... U Joints..?? I do believe ....

My Question is, do the stock Joints only last 42K or what ...??

Whats a good set to put back in ...????

I dunno. I've got the same thing and the shop told me it's coming from my transfer case? I've got 140k on the originals and they said that they are packed full of grease and are tight.

Well thats nice... i havent even gotten crazy with my truck yet cause im scared of the Tranny Dropping on me and i have a Transfer case issue at 42K .... :doh:

I have ZERO Boosted Launches and the only thing i pull is my trailer in a 60Hp setting and i have stuff like this going out ... i guess i need to check myself ... I will be a little upset if it is the CASE ... :poke:

KillerQuad said:
Well thats nice... i havent even gotten crazy with my truck yet cause im scared of the Tranny Dropping on me and i have a Transfer case issue at 42K .... :doh:

I have ZERO Boosted Launches and the only thing i pull is my trailer in a 60Hp setting and i have stuff like this going out ... i guess i need to check myself ... I will be a little upset if it is the CASE ... :poke:

Get the back wheels in the air and rotate the driveshaft back and forth. You will see and hear the U-joint clanking in it's cups. With the weight you pull I would guess the rear joint is bad.$.02

Anything better than stock u-joints for a replacement? Got to be...

Yeah. I would bet it's your u-joints just like I'm betting mine is my u-joints. For some reason the shop felt the need to go under my dash and screw with wires and put all the screws back in while they were replacing my vaccum pump.

BgBlDodge said:
Yeah. I would bet it's your u-joints just like I'm betting mine is my u-joints. For some reason the shop felt the need to go under my dash and screw with wires and put all the screws back in while they were replacing my vaccum pump.

You know ... my dealer likes DICK'N with my Dash too .... They have scratched it about 5 times now ... :bang

One of mine went out on the rear driveshaft(47k miles), and yes, im ashamed to admit, I only changed the one, for now...
Didnt have time to jack with getting the other one and spending even more time beating the ever loving crap out of it, had to get to work:doh: (It was rusted in there pretty good, as well as just wouldnt come out with 5hrs of BFH blows)
It was trashed when I peeked under there, I had a vibration for two days on the way to work, on acceleration, went away on when you let off and coast, peeked under there and it was toast, inside of the cap had chunks missing, and grease was coming out.

I went with a 330A from napa(351A is for 6spds I believe), and FYI, it needs grinding to either the caps, or retainer rings to fit, its .010 taller than a stocker(could be .010 on either end, .020 total, but im not positive)
Youll see what I mean when you go to put the retainers in.

In the future, im going to replace the front one soon(front Ujoint, rear DS), and for the front driveshaft, im going to just buy a full replacement from mopar, and ill jack with swapping the Ujoints to greaseables later, but im not going to waste my time trying to pull the u-joints on it either, mine were practically rusted in, and I dont want to mess with changing out the CV joint either.(mopar replacement front DS is $200~)

Last edited:
I replaced my front left u joint with a napa and my rear one on the driveshaft and have had no problems except getting the dang wheel bearing out it was rusted tight

KillerQuad said:
You know ... my dealer likes DICK'N with my Dash too .... They have scratched it about 5 times now ... :bang

At least your dealer doesn't jack up your lock up switch and make your converter permanently locked while your 100 miles from your truck working 16 hour days.

Nobody even mentioned spicers? I thought they were supposed to be the best.

Spicer non greased u joints on a balanced shaft here :1tooth:

Back