UNOH Pulling Truck

Lil' E

Fuel Junky
The Diesel Club at UNOH is in the process of building a pulling truck. I am trying to get all the information straight of what they want to run and what class they are trying to get into. This far I know it will have a 24V in it I believe. Any body have any suggestions on a good setup to run on it and we are also trying to get some sponsors for this thing. All help is greatly appreciated. :thankyou2:

stick with a 2.6 class or smaller, you ry to go 2.8 with a 24v without a big p-pump and you might as well stay on the porch.

62-64mm charger
some 200-250hp injectors
smarty
redline
o-rings and studs
built tranny or DD clutch
traction bars

that makes for a pretty good pulling 550hp range truck, get the chassis and suspension done right it should pull very well.

Thanks. This is the kind of info I was hoping for. How should we go about getting some sponsors? Just ask and see what answers we get or would it be better to get the truck built and see what it does first?

Who is running the diesel club now???? Sarge???? they were supposed to use the old grey 1st gen maintenance truck and put a 12 valve in it.......what do they got now......

what kind of sponsor money are we talking.......im more than willing to donate to the college since I did graduate from there........

Who is running the diesel club now???? Sarge???? they were supposed to use the old grey 1st gen maintenance truck and put a 12 valve in it.......what do they got now......

what kind of sponsor money are we talking.......im more than willing to donate to the college since I did graduate from there........

I have Trammell right now for Deads, and he seems to be the one running the diesel club. I am just getting into the club now so I am not deffinately sure what they are running it could be the same truck but he was saying that they have a 24V and a shell for a tranny for it.

And I will have to get back to you about the sponsor stuff, I am just starting out in there so I'm not sure what they have and what they need.I will Pm you though when I get it all figured out. It might be tonight after I get out of class and talk to Trammell. :Cheer:

What class are they gonna run? 2.6? and If they plan on running any products that im a vendor for I would be intrested in helping with some parts for the build.

Brett

What class are they gonna run? 2.6? and If they plan on running any products that im a vendor for I would be intrested in helping with some parts for the build.

Brett

Ok Brett I will find out all the info and I will let you know something. I am thinking that it would be best for them to start off in the 2.6 class and then as they get more interest they could build it up more. I am thinking about getting them to get a FASS system and I am not sure of what turbo but I am going to talk to II and see what they can do for a pump turbo or injectors. I am also going to check with TS and see if they would be interested in tuning the truck as well. I will PM you once I get all the info straight. I might even see if they would be interested in investing in your dyno if its still for sale. :thankyou2:

Who is running the diesel club now???? Sarge???? they were supposed to use the old grey 1st gen maintenance truck and put a 12 valve in it.......what do they got now...

Trammell said that Sarge is still in there.
Ok here is the project that they are trying to build...
Its a 91 frame and body with a 99 24V, looking to start out in the WS Class, (since it is going to be a project truck they want to start at the bottom). They have the motor, trans (47RH)
They are going to use a P Pump and need a cover for it, suggestions on a TC to use, tires and rears. That is all of the info that I have gotten so far on this thing. Also he wanted to know what to do about beefing the frame up. Like I said before this is going to be a project truck for the students to work on over the years, and they want to start off at the bottom and work their way up in the classes. This is not going to be built for the WS class, that is just where they want to start due to building the truck with no funding. So all input is greatly appreciated. :thankyou2:

I'd pull the cab to get the chassis bear then box the whole thing. after that set the motor tranny and t-case in it and try to have shafts in it and start adding cross members to get the chassis as stiff as possible.

Axles ditch the 44 and 9.25 thats in it now I believe and I'd try to get a 60 up front and in back a 14 bolt or dana80 most likely find the 14 for a lot cheaper.

hope you have better luck then Trammell has with his truck and getting everything touching to each other.

REMEMBER GUYS........ALL THIS STUFF CAN BE WROTE OFF YOUR TAXES........THE COLLEGE IS A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION.......SO COUGH SOME STUFF UP TO HELP THE CAUSE
:charger: *nx*

the 1st gen truck that they have is 3/4 ton......its the old grey truck with the 360 gasser engine.........

[/QUOTE]the 1st gen truck that they have is 3/4 ton......its the old grey truck with the 360 gasser engine.........[/QUOTE]

He said that its not the old maintenance truck that you thought it might have been.

Another question for you guys. Do you think it would be better to start out in the 2.6 class since they want it to run in the circuit since the guys are wanting to get rid of the WS class? I told him tonight it would probably be better to start off in the 2.6 class since there is a little more room for them to work with. :thankyou2:

the 1st gen truck that they have is 3/4 ton......its the old grey truck with the 360 gasser engine.........[/QUOTE]

He said that its not the old maintenance truck that you thought it might have been.

Another question for you guys. Do you think it would be better to start out in the 2.6 class since they want it to run in the circuit since the guys are wanting to get rid of the WS class? I told him tonight it would probably be better to start off in the 2.6 class since there is a little more room for them to work with. :thankyou2:[/QUOTE]

ok that WAS the one a year ago they was going to start with........i would run 2.6 cause the duramax's are going to have the WS class pretty much wrapped up in ohio........2.6 levels the playing field ALOT......

hey just to let you know some corrections i am in the diesel club and have been working on the project as much as possible, and the dodge is a 1/2 ton with 1/2 ton axles, it was a 150 that had a 318 in it, the motor is in the cdl building, we didn't box the frame yet, but we did get the 24 valve set in and there is even some suspension travel on the front end after putting all that weight on it. with our limited budget, we are gathering scrap to try and fund any expences. our first order of business is most likely the axles and maybe a torque convertor and tranny, right now we are going to be using the v10 parts out of trammels dodge including the torque convertor and tranny.

I'd pull the cab to get the chassis bear then box the whole thing. after that set the motor tranny and t-case in it and try to have shafts in it and start adding cross members to get the chassis as stiff as possible.

Axles ditch the 44 and 9.25 thats in it now I believe and I'd try to get a 60 up front and in back a 14 bolt or dana80 most likely find the 14 for a lot cheaper.

hope you have better luck then Trammell has with his truck and getting everything touching to each other.

don't add crossmembers too the frame thats the opposite direction you want to go.

Dont use a V-10 torque converter in a diesel. Unless it is an aftermarket unit with good lockup clutches.

It sounds to me like you should try and find a donor truck to get the axles and driveline out of. I think that would save some money in the long run.

Definately sounds like a neat project

If your doing a motor swap from different years and such, most WS classes wont let you fun since its not in stock form. IE p-pumped 24V in a 1500 frame...2.6 might give you the flexibility you need. Might help if you knew what organization you were going to pull with too, so you could build to their rules.

for now we are just trying to get the project up and running, these are the only parts we have, the school funds many other projects like drag cars, off road events, and now we even have sports. hopefully if we show an interest and get the truck going and show some sort of progress, the school will help us out, but for now, we are on our own.

I understand being on a budget, but a stock 47rh or 47re with a stock diesel or stock V-10 converter will be horrible for pulling and its hard to show progress that way. Even if you go light on the motor upgrades for now, at least put a decent transmission in it, or you will never make any progress. I would spend more money on the transmission than the motor modifications because a 300hp truck that gets it to the ground effectively will outpull a 450hp truck that is on a stock transmission.

Dont take this as a bash or a put down, im just saying if it is at all possible, do something to the transmission. If the transmission is in ok shape, then a Converter, valve body, and billet input will probably hold 350-400hp and actually pull pretty good in a stock turbo class.

Eric

we have a meeting tonight at 6 we were trying to figure out how we might be able to get some funds together to buy any parts, looking at a fund raiser of some kind. the 24v is bone stock and was donated by cummins so i don't know the horsepower rating, but we aren't going to be doing anything to the motor until the drivetrain can handle it.

I am thinking about getting them to get a FASS system and I am not sure of what turbo but I am going to talk to II and see what they can do for a pump turbo or injectors. :thankyou2:

:bang I'd rather be kicked in the nuts! :kick:

Back