Unusual ticking noise when in gear.

biggy238

About 100 miles ago I started noticing a ticking noise, faint compared to everything else, but I knew it was there, and couldn't point it out to coworkers (diesel techs) because it was so minute.
Yesterday and the day before, its been loud enough that I could point it out to someone. It originates from the go-pedal, steering column area IMO.
It occurs at about 1300rpm, only when in D and becomes less noticeable as rpm climbs.
I'm trying to decide if its a valve (contingent to turbo failure), trans pump, or fuel transfer pump.
I think I'm going to check the valves in the next day or two and see if one is lashed out.
If it was the trans, would operating the TV lever make it louder without the rpm change? I don't even have a good idea on how to isolate the transfer pump and still operate the engine.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

If it's trans related I'd guess it to be a cracked flexplate, or a loose converter bolt. A loose bolt usually makes a heck of a racket though.

Lavon

The relation to rpm has me really concerned about a lash issue somewhere as that's the only situation I can relate it to from prior experience. I've also seen misfiring cylinders sound like this but only on emui systems.
I need to tow with it next weekend and I worry that it will strand me.

I know its counter intuitive but I have run the hell out of it hoping it would make itself known.

Last edited:
I started the truck and let it idle, and began checking exhaust ports for heat. (No IR gun ATM) by the time the rear ports were hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch, #1 was still cooler. This may be circumstantial as the fan was running.
Anyway, I popped the #1 valve cover inspected the lash. Ex seems OK but IN is a little tight. I'm gonna round up what I need to run the overhead and check converter bolts.

It was unrelated, but I hooked up a line pressure gauge Friday to see if the BW solenoid and my adjustments were worthwhile.
I had 160 w/o lockup and 200+ LU in 3rd wide open. Hoping correcting the pressures after driving with deficient pressure is not the source of my new sound.
Thanks for the input.

The location of the sound for it is right. It was a Delphi from genos garage. I will check pressure on it. The rpm dependency makes my think its a reciprocating part.
That pump doesn't have many miles on it. 20k maybe.
Why would it react to being in or out of drive?

Last edited:
Back