upgrade rad or something different

There are at least two different thermostats available, try a colder thermostat. Couldn't hurt.

Also, when you say your rv is 11,000 lbs.. Is that what the rv's tag says, or is that verified on a cat scale?

There are at least two different thermostats available, try a colder thermostat. Couldn't hurt.

Also, when you say your rv is 11,000 lbs.. Is that what the rv's tag says, or is that verified on a cat scale?

thats the trailer unhooked sitting on the scale

Rob, you are more than welcome to try my rad (see if it fits) I am going to be putting something much smaller in my race truck

thanks for the offer kevin but i have a couple of them i could use

1 on my Tst should be right around 500hp and I was 18k in 90° heat last summer, it never got over 190 in the mountains.

How are your egt's?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

runs 180 with no load always has enough stock , and with stock rad

Last edited:
I meant with a load. While pulling your trailer what's the temps get to?

Jesus, I haul tractors and farm equipment for my dad's shop, and other trucks for my shop constantly. I am north of 500hp on a clean factory brass radiator with a single electric fan that never comes on other then when under 35mph in town. It's not exactly flat around here either, but it certainly isn't like having mountain passes.

You say it's a fresh engine, did you bore it? What did you set your skirt clearances at? Clipped water pump, or bypass in the back of the block? Just wondering if we are missing something here.

the engine is new, i never dynoed the truck before or after the engine , but i have not pulled with this engine and twin set-up , today i put a new dodge rad for a 2002 , got a real good deal from my local dealer ( new old stock )
I also put a small oil cooler in line will my kleenoil bypass filter kit , see how it works when i get the trailer out of for camping ,

Best of luck, otherwise you might have a problem else where. I've towed a 10k load multiple times up steep grades at 100*, 420 hp.

You say it's a fresh engine, did you bore it? What did you set your skirt clearances at? Clipped water pump, or bypass in the back of the block? Just wondering if we are missing something here.

the engine is new, i never dynoed the truck before or after the engine , but i have not pulled with this engine and twin set-up , today i put a new dodge rad for a 2002 , got a real good deal from my local dealer ( new old stock )
I also put a small oil cooler in line will my kleenoil bypass filter kit , see how it works when i get the trailer out of for camping ,

I was aware the engine was new... My previous questions remain unanswered, it will be interesting to see if a fresh radiator helps. But like I said, I'm north of 500hp with the factory brass radiator and my truck constantly cycles between 190 and 140 degrees. Even while towing 12,000 pounds or more.

High altitude causes alot of problems, less power, runs hotter, etc..
What fan are you running? Stock?

I don't think anything is wrong. My temps went from 190 to 230 deg up a 7% grade grossing 18,000 pounds. I mean heck, the cooling system was designed to support 160hp, not 500hp!

Griffin makes an aluminum radiator for $600 that works.

I was aware the engine was new... My previous questions remain unanswered, it will be interesting to see if a fresh radiator helps. But like I said, I'm north of 500hp with the factory brass radiator and my truck constantly cycles between 190 and 140 degrees. Even while towing 12,000 pounds or more.

engine has Marnie coated skirt malhe pistons , 5th over for coating as malhe wants , engine now has a coolant bypass , stock water pump . and a small oil cooler with fan

engine temp loaded when i am out in the hills is runs 200 loaded

Back