upgraded axles for a dana 70? also a VIDEO of breakage

silverram323

Well i finally did it. I broke the drive line. I broke both axles in my dana 70 after 60-70 hooks. I searched and from what i read, Mosers sound like the better choice as they twist a little but don't break. Yukons are breaking.

What else are my options besides a dana 80. I'm on a budget as I'm laid off so i would like to stay in the $400 range.

@ 25 seconds she lets go.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnvNeO8aRtU[/MEDIA]

Attachments

• broken axles.jpg
    broken axles.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
You will break the pinion next. Find some stock d70 axles, put them in the d70 sell it for $300 or so. Find a d80 for 700 or so and there is your $400 budget.

Or you can spend $400 on axles for you d70, break the pinion, then you can spend $250 or so for a ring and pinion and still have a weak setup.

You will break the pinion next. Find some stock d70 axles, put them in the d70 sell it for $300 or so. Find a d80 for 700 or so and there is your $400 budget.

Or you can spend $400 on axles for you d70, break the pinion, then you can spend $250 or so for a ring and pinion and still have a weak setup.

Totally agree...a guy I pull with locally did the same thing, same thing happened as you said...he finally listened and went with a d80.

upgrade to the dana80 like i did when i snaped the pinion. you wont regret it

I cant believe you made that many pulls on it anyways. Sell it, and buy an 80.

Eric

Dont waste your time with the 70 unless you have three of them laying around like i do lol. You cant give them away around here no one wants them. At least not in the sled pulling world i sold a few to a few jeep guys around here. Wouldnt throw any money at a 70 you will be spending it agian shortly!

the pinions on the 70s are quite a bit smaller than the 80's. 14 bolts are cheaper and comparable in strength. parts are cheaper 2! if you decide to upgrade that much tho

Dana 80 is not in the budget. I found some used stock axles for $95. Im going to paint a white line down them and watch them closely. I searched 600 miles from my zip on CL and couldn't find any d80 for under $800 with 4.10s and locker allready installed.

Attachments

• broken splines.jpg
    broken splines.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
  • broken axels.jpg
    broken axels.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
So when you snap the 70 what are you going to do? I am really surprised you broke the axles. Usually the pinion goes first.
If you don't have the money for the 80 what are you going to do when you break the pinion?

So when you snap the 70 what are you going to do? I am really surprised you broke the axles. Usually the pinion goes first.
If you don't have the money for the 80 what are you going to do when you break the pinion?

When i break the 70 totally then ill have to find a d80. I'm going to keep a eye open to snatch one up if i find one. I'm going to run some good street tires instead of my siped mud terrain tires. that might help

When i break the 70 totally then ill have to find a d80. I'm going to keep a eye open to snatch one up if i find one. I'm going to run some good street tires instead of my siped mud terrain tires. that might help

I guess what folks are trying to tell you is you can get $300 or so out of the 70 if it works. With a broken pinion you won't get much. To buy gears and pay to have them set up will run you $600 probably.
If an 80 isn't in the budget now at say $400 difference, then how are you gonna swing $700 or so when you have to buy it outright?

Back