V10s Suck Gass

DieselDood

Hey Guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster... LOL

I've got an 03 Excursion that I love, for the most part. It has a gutless V10. Ok ok ok... so maybe the V10 would be ok with better programming and taller gears... but with 275,000, it's just not worth that much trouble into a gasser. *bdh* Especially since I typically tow a 6x12 trailer that is 4000lbs max... it should pull better.

I have accumulated a 95 12v Cummins. I plan to reseal, O-ring, and set up for about 400hp and tweaked for mileage. I have a Variable vane turbo from a 15 Cummins 5500 for what should make a great spooling daily driver. I'm going to run a stand alone Banshee Controller so I can tweak and tune it.

I have also gotten a 5r110. I like the additional gear for in town driving and towing. And it doesn't have to be built to take 400hp.

I know I will need to run a PCS controller. That's an easily and well known thing....

Before I get into this swap and start needing to program this thing, I figured I'd do some research on the programming side of things.

I can't find anything discussing the actual programming. I can find guys saying they couldn't make it work...guys that killed a transmission, but nothing about a good solid program that they like. I intend to make 2 programs, one for towing and one for daily driving. And maybe... a 3rd for more of a performance tune type of thing.

I have a computer that is built into the center console of the truck, so changing the programming of the Turbo and the transmission will be easy... but first... that programming....

Anyone have words of wisdom? Good programs they like or things I should start with?

Thanks guys!

A friend of mine did something similar and never got the trans dialed in decent until he changed the converter. It was planned at first but tried the stock ford converter to get by and it sucked.

Back