Vacuum accessories?

NEsmoker

Whats all is run off the vac pump on a 99 auto? Tha cad is gone on my front axle. What does the vac do inside the transfer case?? What in the dash is run on vac?? thanks rob

Shouldnt need the vacuum to the t case if you have eliminated the cad. For the a/c , it controls the vent position. Will only have air out the defrost with no vacuum.

tapatalking from droidx

yeah i asked the same questions a couple days ago. its only a junction block for the cad and transfercase breather. i ended up finding out my vacuum pump was shot after tracking all the lines down.

The vac going to the t case is worked by a valve to apply vac to the CAD when you put it in 4wd. Other than that, cruise, vent and blend doors.

Cruise uses vacuum on some trucks, mind didnt have it for some reason.

Well those are all things i wont need in the puller then. Ill just have to find a way to keep the steering pump or make a hydrualic pump work for steering.

Cruise uses vacuum on some trucks, mind didnt have it for some reason.

01.5's and up used an electric actuator for the cruise IIRC.

Well those are all things i wont need in the puller then. Ill just have to find a way to keep the steering pump or make a hydrualic pump work for steering.

You can keep the stock power steering pump, just gut the vac pump and reseal it, be mucho cheaper than rigging something else in.

Not to hi jack, but i have replaced both o rings and the shaft seal in two different vacuum pumps lately and both leaked worse than before? The shaft seal seems really soft and doesn't seal, and then the big oring between the halves is too thin to seal. Am I missing something or are these $117 seal kits garbage? Btw the power steering pumps were both new, so there are no grooves in shaft.

Last edited:
depends i just purchase a genuine cummins kit for just under 30 bucks. i will see how that works once i get it in the mail this week. there could be a bur or something on the shaft or housing that could be knicking the ring or seal when re-assembling.

Last edited:

You can keep the stock power steering pump, just gut the vac pump and reseal it, be mucho cheaper than rigging something else in.

Thats what I thought but my red truck was build july 01 with no vacuum for the cruise, the ECM does all the work.

My dad's was also built july 01 but his has the vacuum module. Only difference is mine is a 4x4 5spd and his is a 2wd auto.

Pull the vanes from the pump, ditch the orings for some glue and weld the vacuum nipple shut. Thats what I had to do on my conversion.

I havent looked at it yet, im just tossing around ideas. I dont know when im gonna start my rebuild, got some other things goin on this winter. Id atleast like to clean up some wiring and plumbing while the engines out of it.

My 01.5 had a vac operated cruise control. Iirc, the autos are vac and the sticks are electronic.

Back