Vacuum pump for crank case evacuation question

SuperiorRam

So the toy truck is still in the midst of getting the "cheap p-pump swap" that's right at about five grand now. Any way with the engine set so far back to get the p on there the break booster had to go bye bye, so I picked up a 4b power steering pump (no vacuum pump) to throw that on instead. BUT I think hey would the vacuum pump help keep the six little breathers clean and seals in the block working better? What are your guys opinions? Maybe restrict the line a bit? Will it just suck oil and puke out the pump? Where would I plumb it to if I go this route...
Thanks in advance.

Yeah not really telling me chit about the stock vacuum pump on a 12 valve, if it doesn't pull near enough it will just come off for weight savings

Just trying to help buddy. Hopefully somebody has tried and will share.

Yeah not really telling me chit about the stock vacuum pump on a 12 valve, if it doesn't pull near enough it will just come off for weight savings

I'm not completely sure but I think that the stock pump vents into the crankcase. If that was the case you would have to rework the internal passages.
I've thought about trying exactly what you are looking to do, but never taken it farther than a thought.

I'm not completely sure but I think that the stock pump vents into the crankcase. If that was the case you would have to rework the internal passages.

that would be adding pressure and defeating the purpose huh, almost worth getting rid of, if that's truly it's vent

You could always do the venture into the exhaust with a check valve. It'd always have vacuum theoretically, and more vacuum as exhaust pressure increased.

The stock vacuum pump vents into the crankcase. Can't use it for crankcase evacuation.

I use a BMW secondary air pump tied into the oil filler neck. The vent hose is run through a catch can, then to the pump, then to an exhaust pitot (from Summit I think?). Not nearly as good as a dedicated mechanical vacuum pump. But it does help, and it was only $100 to setup. It's only good for intermittent use though. The air pump takes a lot of power and will burn out if you let it run continuously. Works well for the track, not so much for the street. But, the pitot will still vent some without the pump running.

Last edited:
The stock vacuum pump vents into the crankcase. Can't use it for crankcase evacuation.

I use a BMW secondary air pump tied into the oil filler neck. The vent hose is run through a catch can, then to the pump, then to an exhaust pitot (from Summit I think?). Not nearly as good as a dedicated mechanical vacuum pump. But it does help, and it was only $100 to setup. It's only good for intermittent use though. The air pump takes a lot of power and will burn out if you let it run continuously. Works well for the track, not so much for the street. But, the pitot will still vent some without the pump running.

If you want to do a setup like that, I have done one before with a Ford 5.4L EGR pump. I believe they can handle a 100% duty cycle. That's how I had mine setup anyways, and it never failed. I think you can get them for like $40 off ebay or like $5 from a junk yard.

Back