Vacuum pump reseal kit

dslhtrdr

Always learning...
Anyone here familiar with resealing their vacuum pumps? I've been tracking down a very annoying oil leak coming from my '94. After inspecting everything I can externally, it looks like this is the cause.

Pure Diesel Power Vacuum Pump Reseal Kit

From what I can see, there is very minimal oil residue from underneath the p pump, therefore I have ruled that out. The oil that I can see starts right from where the vacuum pump bolts to the timing cover, and there are oil drips all along the bottom of it and the power steering pump.

If anyone has done this, any advise and tips are appreciated.

Sweet guys. Thanks for the link and the replies. I was concerned that I might have to take the timing cover back off to remove the pump. Couldn't remember from when I tabbed my dowel pin a couple years back.

Just ordered my reseal kit from Gould Gear and Electric.

http://www.fixinrams.com/

Pete Gould is a heck of a knowledgeable and nice guy to talk to over the phone. I also bought new vanes for my vacuum pump from him because he informed me that since I have a lot of miles on my truck, the vanes become worn out and will create poor vacuum, which probably explains why my brake pedal is a little soft. And if they fail, they can punch a hole through the side of the pump.

Everything should be here by the end of the week. I'll update this thread once I get everything resealed.

Got my kit in the mail yesterday and resealed the pump today. Went pretty smooth. The hardest part was getting the darn pump off and back on the truck. I took a couple hours to do it because I went ahead and changed my oil at the same time. No leaks!

Bottom line: get the Gould Gear and Electric reseal kit. No brainer.

Glad to hear someone got the gould kit. If there was ever a bad designed cummins part it is our vacuum pump. I bought the cummins gasket kit and it last 2 weeks before it started leaking again. Im probably gonna try my luck with gould next.

really stupid question....where does the fitting from the vacuum pump go?

Sorry fo rthe highjack, been searching for a while and this is the best thread on the subject.

The fitting on top is the main vac hose, the fitting on the bottom goes to a tee that also supplies oil to the injection pump

Back