Valve keeper and retainer problem.

Trashdawg

Master Chip Installer
I am having a retainer problem on the intake side. The retainer is coming coming up, So that the top of the retainer is above the top of the valve. And that will keep the valve open from to tight of valve lash. I run 60lbs valve springs and 65 psi boost. I don't have any bent push rods. truck revs to 4100-4300 when trans doesn't shift. The only way to take the keepers and retainer off is to cut them. Any suggestions.

Sounds like you need a set of billet retainers and keepers from Haisley Machine..

I don't know for sure but it doesn't sound safe to run the truck in the condition you describe!

you are pulling the keepers through the retainers. you better change them out quick. i have posted a bunch for people to watch out for this.

Are there more options besides Haisley's titanium keepers/retainers?

brnadon.

the only place i have heard of is Haisley. Im sure there are others but it may just take some searching.

Lance

I wouldnt even consider those rpms without keepers and retainers.:Throwup:

at what rpms do it. keepers & retainers become MANDATORY. I have heard diff things. Anywhere from 3800-4500

Lance

Last edited by a moderator:
i recomend them for anyone putting in a 4k kit. but you can recut the valves and use pontiac retainers and keepers. now this is what i heard, not what i know. so take it with a grain of salt.

i was told anything past 3500 i SHOULD get 60lb valve springs, and keepers and retainers. To many things can go wrong, valve float, piston contact, bend a pushrod, keeper falls off and valve drops into the head. It may not rev like it would with 30lb valve springs but is the risk worth it?

well.... i pull over 3600 often when messing around like at the track and sometimes 4k when just jackin around. And i have never noticed this on my truck YET (knock on wood).
But i guess AS SOON as i start to see ANYTHING funny going on up there that they will be in the mail. lol

Lance

Back