Valve lash inconsistent?

Pullin' Out

last minute pro
I have a flat tappet aftermarket cam in my cummins puller. I set the valves one cylinder at a time as I go through the firing order. (Going off the harmonic balancer.) These readings are consistent with each other every time. Out of curiosity I watched an exhaust on another cylinder as I bared the engine over. Based with my eyes the exhaust became fully open (Meaning I was far away from any valve overlap.) I then checked the intake, it was .008 loose after my previous way of measuring. I checked the others in the same fashion, they were all .006 to .010 loose. Does any one have an explanation? thanks

Try this method.

(Number 1 TDC)
Intake - 1, 2, 4
Exhaust - 1, 3, 5

Rotate 180 degrees (number 6 TDC)
Intake - 3, 5, 6
Exhaust - 2, 4, 6

I have a flat tappet aftermarket cam in my cummins puller. I set the valves one cylinder at a time as I go through the firing order. (Going off the harmonic balancer.) These readings are consistent with each other every time. Out of curiosity I watched an exhaust on another cylinder as I bared the engine over. Based with my eyes the exhaust became fully open (Meaning I was far away from any valve overlap.) I then checked the intake, it was .008 loose after my previous way of measuring. I checked the others in the same fashion, they were all .006 to .010 loose. Does any one have an explanation? thanks

Are you watching the proper running mate to the cylinder you're setting? Is the marks on the damper the correct one for the cylinder you're setting?

Try this method.

(Number 1 TDC)
Intake - 1, 2, 4
Exhaust - 1, 3, 5

Rotate 180 degrees (number 6 TDC)
Intake - 3, 5, 6
Exhaust - 2, 4, 6

Thanks, I havent tryed that method because the cam designer told me that method would not work because there is a lot of overlap. Maybe I will just to see what happens.

Are you watching the proper running mate to the cylinder you're setting? Is the marks on the damper the correct one for the cylinder you're setting?

As far as I know I marked the dampner correct. I even had my old man look at it to see if I missed something. He agreed with me.

Do the drop valve method on #1,2,3 to find correct TDC, then you'll know if your marks are correct.

Set Intake when ex starts to open, set exhaust when intake starts to close.

Jesel has instructions online try to find them. In short rotate the motor over and when the exhaust just begins to open check/adjust intake lash. When the intake is about to close check/adjust the exhaust. It is simple and works every time. If you are rotating the motor opposite of rotation like most 12v guys due because alternator nut only will turn motor in opposite direction then do the exhaust when the intake just begins to open and do the intake when the exhaust is just about to close.

Jesel has instructions online try to find them. In short rotate the motor over and when the exhaust just begins to open check/adjust intake lash. When the intake is about to close check/adjust the exhaust. It is simple and works every time. If you are rotating the motor opposite of rotation like most 12v guys due because alternator nut only will turn motor in opposite direction then do the exhaust when the intake just begins to open and do the intake when the exhaust is just about to close.

Resorted to this method today, I think we got her figured out.

Back