Valve Seals

dvst8r

Unobtainium
I just got my head pulled off for O-ringing, and some upgraded valve springs, and was thinking I should replace my valve seals since I'm in this far.

Is everyone just running cummins seals or are there aftermarket ones i should be looking at?

it wouldnt hurt, if they werent pushed up on the valve they were probably fine. its one of those things that usually gets done while your there.

teflon seals dont let as much oil by

oil lubes the valve stems and the guides

i put stockers on mine b/c its more of a tow rig than a race rig

dont think it really matters tho

these things dont spin very much rpm

don

out of curiosity i read that other thread link in here and noticed it was about CR and 24V but what about a 12V i noticed when i rebuilt a 4BT at the shop in a skid steer that i had an orange push button type and then one that looked similar to a CR valve seal i have been having problems with my seals staying on my 12V they are the orange button and curious about these ones that look like a top hat style that would be held on by the bottom of the spring instead of a snap ring.:poke:

Is everyone just running cummins seals or are there aftermarket ones i should be looking at?

sounds like you oughta machine the head for the top hat style cr seals

didnt know everyone was having so many probs w the first n sec gen valve seals

i have not had any issues...

yet

don

maybe i just didnt get them pushed on all the way but mine keep popping off. i was just curious about the top hat style since thats what it looked like it was using along with the button style with that 4B i put rods and mains in, after the crank was spun. head was left untouched so i never really payed attention to the valve seals.

That's OK - he didn't really spell sentence correctly... :hehe:

That's OK - he didn't really spell sentence correctly... :hehe:

probably went to a small low funded under-educated school like i did:bang

but really back on the subject i am curious as to these "top hat" style valve seals because when i go to replace the ones i have now if this will help keep them from blowing off i am up for the few extra bucks for them. hopefully you dont have to machine the head if anything i would think it would give you a little more sealing power on the valves if you didnt machine the head for that seat to set down in. i know if you get too much pressure you will start bending push rods and breaking other things, but i wouldnt think that the thickness of those flanges would hurt that much. would it?:poke:

but really back on the subject i am curious as to these "top hat" style valve seals because when i go to replace the ones i have now if this will help keep them from blowing off i am up for the few extra bucks for them. hopefully you dont have to machine the head if anything i would think it would give you a little more sealing power on the valves if you didnt machine the head for that seat to set down in. i know if you get too much pressure you will start bending push rods and breaking other things, but i wouldnt think that the thickness of those flanges would hurt that much. would it?:poke:

The top hat style you are talking about is what Garret from Pure diesel power sent me with my head I orderd a while back.. He didnt machine the head that I know of.. I do remember them being a bugger to put on even with a shat load of oil on them...

The top hat style you are talking about is what Garret from Pure diesel power sent me with my head I orderd a while back.. He didnt machine the head that I know of.. I do remember them being a bugger to put on even with a shat load of oil on them...

thats good i am still curious as to if the thickness of the seal flange would be enough to cause issues with push rods since i have the 60# springs in there? i wouldnt think that they would cause too big of an issue but would rather have a reassurance that i wont mess anything up.

thats good i am still curious as to if the thickness of the seal flange would be enough to cause issues with push rods since i have the 60# springs in there? i wouldnt think that they would cause too big of an issue but would rather have a reassurance that i wont mess anything up.

Mine havent messed up and have been on there for about 20k or so..

The CR seals will not fit a 12v, the have different size valve stems.....

The CR seals will not fit a 12v, the have different size valve stems.....

well that sucks. even though in a CNH rebuild kit i got for a skid steer that had a 4BT in it had those style seals starting to think they just made a general rebuild kit and included everything but thats why it made me curious about it because its a p pump 4b.

was raised by the state

highly over funded and obviously unedumacated idiots they were

that was pretty funny tho...tried rippin on your english and mispelled my rip!

if ya cant laugh at yourself what ya gonna do?

make it a great night

was raised by the state

highly over funded and obviously unedumacated idiots they were

that was pretty funny tho...tried rippin on your english and mispelled my rip!

if ya cant laugh at yourself what ya gonna do?

make it a great night

yeah it was :hehe: but oh well we're not all perfect. just adds humor to life lol

Back