Valve spring ?

Longcummins

Green Ears & Red Neck
A what point (boost pressure) are heavy duty springs and push rods needed? I am seeing upwards of 55 + when I really mash on the go pedal. I know the valves can float at a certain point but I am not sure what that point is.

i got the 467.7 as well on a 2nd gen swap. i was told that the cutoff was about 50psi. springs are pretty cheap so i got them put in, new valve guides, etc when i had the machine shop deck the head. didnt upgrade pushrods though.

right now i am chasing a tick on the intake side of the block. checked lash 2 x. mabe bent pushrod???

Last edited:
^^^ good to hear! I just installed #103 springs with chromoly push rods. Because when I think of ( floating valves ) I think of shoving the oil out of a hydraulic lifter by over revving. Missing a shift or something. Over reviving a solid tappet, I'm thinking lose a keeper on valve, or bend a push rod some where along those lines. I didn't think of the boost.

i got the 467.7 as well on a 2nd gen swap. i was told that the cutoff was about 50psi. springs are pretty cheap so i got them put in, new valve guides, etc when i had the machine shop deck the head. didnt upgrade pushrods though.

right now i am chasing a tick on the intake side of the block. checked lash 2 x. mabe bent pushrod???

Are you hearing a tick or a Ping Ping ping? I'm chasing a ping ping ping on the intake side as well. Started noticing it when I did my springs and rods as well. Checked lash and it's still there. Here's a few videos. I can here it clear as day but everywhere I post it I never get feed back.

[ame]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp57/alynott1207/2nd%20Gen%20Swap/CA273C42-F6E6-4275-83F7-673489DE03D5_zpshh3oqbt4.mp4[/ame]

Can't hear it as good in this one
[ame]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp57/alynott1207/2nd%20Gen%20Swap/16749B4D-0B71-4AB4-9D20-AFBDE73BBC1C_zpsfecd8mwh.mp4[/ame]

Last edited:
Cannot for the life of me get the videos to work. There's three in my photo bucket if you scroll through

With every tick the problem gets worse, but you may be able to find the ticking, by using a wooden handle out of a broom. Hold one end against your ear and the other end against the head. You can narrow it down like that. Don't knock your self out by getting it in the fan or belts. Lmao

It's gonna have to wait now. Just left for Japan for a few months. Trucks in storage but I'll definitely be doing my research to find something!

I did springs and pushrods because I wanted to spin more rpm without worrying about it. I don't think it's ever a bad idea to upgrade when you're pushing your engine like that

Back