Variations of the 518

Trapper

Hater
I have a 95 dodge with a bad transmission. But I have a good transmission out of a 02. Can't I just switch out the vb and its the same transmission. There both diesel and 2wd.

No, your 95 is a 47RH and your 02 is a 48RE

Unless you are talking gasser, still no but then it is 46RH vs 46RE

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure an 02 is a 47re. 48re's only came on third gens to my knowledge

Ok there are a lot of similarities but a lot of differences after all the reading.

The 95 is hydraulic, the 02 electronic. No you cannot swap them, it will not work

Ok. New question. I just swapped a earlier 24v I think 98 with a 47re into a later I think 01 maybe 02 24v truck because they drove it without oil pressure. But now after the trans and motor swap I have no 3-4 shift or lock up. 1-2 and 2-3 are great. I've been double checking my wiring and checking out the TV cable. Where should I start?

those are solenoid controlled... you can test to see if they are damaged

Ok the truck is a 2000. I'm going to do some voltage tests. And see if I can borrow a scanner. If not I will swap the vb.

They changed the RE harness in 00, easy fix is to swap the later VB back in... As for the RE swapping with an RH you would need the OD section out of the RH for the governor and feed tubes, plus the OD piston retainer for the ports to accept the governor feed tubes. There is a bushing available to bush the larger RE hole down to the RH plug.

They changed the RE harness in 00, easy fix is to swap the later VB back in... As for the RE swapping with an RH you would need the OD section out of the RH for the governor and feed tubes, plus the OD piston retainer for the ports to accept the governor feed tubes. There is a bushing available to bush the larger RE hole down to the RH plug.

Thanks. Ya I'm sure the TC sucked up a bushing since it won't come off.

I just swapped out the later model working trans and it worked. This 24v runs good

Back