VGT manual control.

vgt1.jpg

It's NOT fully complete so don't mind a bunch of the imperfections.

...well what i was thinking is having the 551 closed up a good ways, and then open up. basically have the 551 spool up to about 10-15psi before having a wastegate actuator open it up. it would be the same as what i have done above to the he351ve, just with a lower psi actuator. there are adjustable stops on the arm so with a good bit of tuning in a twins set it (should) work very well. i would think that i would have an issue with barking as i run the 351 on the edge of barking. BD blow off valve system? and also how much is TOO much low end torque before i start breaking parts

i can make the housing "smaller" on the 351, but it barks all of the time and i don't want to hurt the thing. i also agree with packaging.

I built a VGT controller just like that one using a wastegate actuator off a hx35. My problem was it hit the shock tower on my 4x4 and I didn't want to try to flip the manifold. 99% of my problem was my exhaust adapter was 2" long and it spaced the turbo too far from the manifold and crowded the shock tower. It's good to see that you got it working and all dialed in.

Heck, i even tuned mine on the bench to start moving with 26psi boost! Too bad it wouldn't fit!

I built a VGT controller just like that one using a wastegate actuator off a hx35. My problem was it hit the shock tower on my 4x4 and I didn't want to try to flip the manifold. 99% of my problem was my exhaust adapter was 2" long and it spaced the turbo too far from the manifold and crowded the shock tower. It's good to see that you got it working and all dialed in.

Heck, i even tuned mine on the bench to start moving with 26psi boost! Too bad it wouldn't fit!

You could take the exhast housing to a machine shop and have them drill the flange hole to the t3 holes. Or find a vgt exhst manifold.

how much off of closed do you have yours adjusted? i also have mine setup to adjust in any position i wonder if i have to much preload set on my wastegate can also do you think my signal line needs to be from the manifold or from my large charger thanks tony

I also would like to know where you guys set the nozzle at idle or your starting point since all the way closed would be the exhaust brake function

I also would like to know where you guys set the nozzle at idle or your starting point since all the way closed would be the exhaust brake function

I just started mine right where I stopped hearing the backpressure with the truck running. Really need to drive it around and adjust it more. 6speed you didn't sound to interested in the VGTs on another forum.

all 5.9 manifolds have the T3 flange. i kept my 2nd gen manifold because i wanted to keep the sound. i built an adapter with a t3 flange, wgmt flange, and a 90* short radius piece of pipe. ported/polished it after having dad weld it. it was the best thing to do...i spent a good 5 hours figuring out the best way to mount it without clearance issues from the battery, hood, firewall, etc.

mine's closed up fairly tight, it does put a load on the motor. i can make 20 pounds of boost if i rev the throttle up in neutral. :rockwoot: my straight pipe is quieter under 20psi then with the stock turbo and 4" flow through muffler.

I just started mine right where I stopped hearing the backpressure with the truck running. Really need to drive it around and adjust it more. 6speed you didn't sound to interested in the VGTs on another forum.

I may try it out if I get a hold of another turbo. Mainly just curious as to how you guys are dialing them in

how much off of closed do you have yours adjusted? i also have mine setup to adjust in any position i wonder if i have to much preload set on my wastegate can also do you think my signal line needs to be from the manifold or from my large charger thanks tony

By manifold do you mean drive pressure from the exhaust manifold? If so I would say that should work good, you wouldn't have to worry about choking it up with that set up as it will never build too much drive pressure and choke the engine out. At least that's what I am hoping to accomplish by running my 451 controls with drive pressure rather than boost... :Cheer:

if you use drive pressure for anything, make sure you run a filter. Mine would clog up a regulator after 3 or 4 pulls.

So after doing other things for a few days I finally got the new A1000 pump and VGT installed, the actuator works well but I cant drive it just yet since my buddy came by and stole my brake master cylinder. I will try and get the brakes working tomorrow (have to fab up a new hydroboost) and get some video of the actuator working and report how it works.

The charger actually spools a touch better if it's not closed all the way.

This thing will probably not spool like stock on anything short of what it came off of stock, and ISX. On my 12v, it lights about 2300RPM...I'd say that's about a 1000RPM later than stock!

Chris

I imagine that the "slow" spool up is due to the massive compressor size and will be slow no matter what is done with the turbine housing?

I imagine that the "slow" spool up is due to the massive compressor size and will be slow no matter what is done with the turbine housing?

Yep, pretty much my thoughts too...if I had a converter that would stall to 2500RPM, this thing would really rock and roll at the strip. With my tight converter, it's tough to light at the track, but once she lights, holy cow!

The compressor is big, and flows a lot of air considering I can clean up 450cc's of fuel with laser cut DV's to a heavy haze...it's moving some air, but does take time to spool.

Chris

Yep, pretty much my thoughts too...if I had a converter that would stall to 2500RPM, this thing would really rock and roll at the strip. With my tight converter, it's tough to light at the track, but once she lights, holy cow!

The compressor is big, and flows a lot of air considering I can clean up 450cc's of fuel with laser cut DV's to a heavy haze...it's moving some air, but does take time to spool.

Chris

I do wonder though if the actual physical size of the ex housing being smaller would help... I need to get my hands on a 551 and a 19cm housing off a 400 series to see if it can be made to work. Damned wedding is eating all my budget though :nail:

Time to get your priorities straight....... forget the wedding LMAO LOL

LOL I wish I could... It's pretty much a done deal, I'm even selling my pulling tractor to help fund it :doh:

EDIT: worse yet she is selling her 96 1500 reg cab short box... I was totally gonna drop a 12v in it and have some fun. Then take the 318/5spd and put it in her 2000 300M (already did a 318/727 in a 99 Intrepid so I know it works).

Last edited:
I do wonder though if the actual physical size of the ex housing being smaller would help... I need to get my hands on a 551 and a 19cm housing off a 400 series to see if it can be made to work. Damned wedding is eating all my budget though :nail:

You got the 19cm housing??? I got 551's sitting here.

Chris

vgt turbo housing size

where do you find the number of exhaust housing size on the 551?thanks tony

Back