Vid of High Maintenance in Athens 8-15-09

SEOHPowerstroke

Project Developement
It's running very well, but I can't seem to put an end to this bounce. It's much better now with the front leaf spring adjustments I've made recently, I can now make it down the track. However the axles can't take the beating long enough to get me to the end of the track. The outer axle shaft broke tonight at about 250 ft and the truck came to a screetching halt at 267 ft. It took 318 to win, so I've gotta get another 55-60 ft out of it and I believe that is easily doable with no bounce or breakage.

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks

YouTube - High Maintenance in Athens

We haave a local guy that put a 12v in a 90's Ford,had alot of boumnce as well.He has recently gone to coils from a two wheel drive Ford.It took alot of the bounce out.

No coil overs yet, I was told in y last thread about this issue that I didn't need them, I guess I will try it now.

Holy cow I was seeing quite a few inches under the tires there LOL. I know the feeling mine has bounced that bad before, it is one hell of a ride in the cab.

You need to loosen the front suspension up and need more spring rate

Last edited:
Are you still setting on the stops? I watched the vid a bunch of times and it still seems as if the front is solid. If you slow the vid down even with the front tires off the ground the axle isnt dropping down which to me means the tires are now becoming the front suspension which is where my bounce was coming from until i put enough spring rate in the front of mine to lift it off the stops. I will try to find a vid of mine when it use to bounce so you can compare them, Jeremy.

Are you still setting on the stops? I watched the vid a bunch of times and it still seems as if the front is solid. If you slow the vid down even with the front tires off the ground the axle isnt dropping down which to me means the tires are now becoming the front suspension which is where my bounce was coming from until i put enough spring rate in the front of mine to lift it off the stops. I will try to find a vid of mine when it use to bounce so you can compare them, Jeremy.

you are right , when I did my ford conversion puller I had to take all the extra springs out of the front (sleddy told me to ) so the axle could move up and down very easy. and it workked very well. and I also had to go to 35 spline axle conversion on the dana 60 cause it kept snaping the stock stub axles off.

Exactly same thing with our gas truck, had 4 stiff leaves in the front per side, and bounced. Now its only got 2 soft worn out per side, lost the bounce. When you lift the truck up and let the suspension sag it should just keep droping, ours is around 8''-9''.$.02
Rocky that was in the 2.6 class with the ford has an awsome suspension setup, maybe take a look at it or talk to him next time.

Coming out easier wont make any difference, he doesnt have a street truck that turns 3500, you cant come out but so easy turning 5k+ to get the chargers to light. And if he could come out easy any bump in the track will cause the truck to go into a bounce

what tire pressure are you running? im not a expert but with a little more psi wouldnt that help with the bouncing? and do away with the leafs.

Holy cow I was seeing quite a few inches under the tires there LOL. I know the feeling mine has bounced that bad before, it is one hell of a ride in the cab.

That was a mild bounce too... It used to be alot worse:doh:

Maybe losing the stops is a good idea, I'm gonna ponder that a while, and the hitch is getting changed tomorrow, gonna put more angle on it and move it back more.

The leaf springs are stock, there are only two leafs there, I've already removed the added leafs.

IMHO you need too lower the rear end down a ton that thing is in the clouds. I saw the truck last thursday at Ross County. Move the hitch to the center of the rear axle and not anywhere above the frame rails.

Have you tried the 90/10 drag shocks yet like I mentioned in your other post. They are going to let that axle drop back down real fast when it wants to pull up and then be almost impossible for it to compress the shock...you will find the truck will lift leaving the line and over the course of the pull it will settle down to your normal right height. What they are really doing is counter acting the bounce or wheel hopp. They are only just over 100 for the pair from Summit (competition engineering)...well worth the money and little time it takes to fab up top and lower brackets and see how they work.

Ryan

IMHO you need too lower the rear end down a ton that thing is in the clouds. I saw the truck last thursday at Ross County. Move the hitch to the center of the rear axle and not anywhere above the frame rails.

WHy not above the frame rails?

Back