Volvo 760 w/built D24T

vwjunkie53

Hello everyone,
Just found out about this website and thought I would share my build up... Its my daily driver, a '84 Volvo 760 with VW D24T straight six. I race it quite a bit, it was at Gateway intertnational when it was open last year in St.Louis, and I also raced it at the Scheid diesel extravaganza this year. Engine has ARP head studs, ported and polished head, MLS head gasket, NA cam, custom built T3/T4 turbo, front mount IC, 3" exhaust, 273 "GTD" injector nozzles and a modded VE pump (though still running the stock 10mm head). I have talked with Giles about building a 12mm headed pump but it sounds like to take it to the next level its going to be quite expensive. Its left hand rotation on these engines so the head and rotor assembly isn't something I can just steal off a cummins pump! Not sure on the power level, but i can beat up on most chipped/modded cummins/powerstroke trucks.

Here is a link to the engine build: Jason's D24T engine build

IMG_20110725_141049.jpg

IMG_20110725_143540.jpg

102_2667.jpg

102_2670.jpg

100_2630.jpg

Here is is racing at the scheid diesel event, fast forward to 6.35 or so and my car is up: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956cai5BwxM&feature=autoplay&list=ULKDs8q-pGdeI&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956cai5BwxM&feature=autoplay&list=ULKDs8q-pGdeI&lf=mfu_in_order&playnext=1[/ame]

Jason

Last edited:
Not really sure, after the new engine my best 1/8th mile was 9.90 at 71 or 72mph. You can hear in the vid that is just burns the tires off through first gear. I'm thinking with some better tires (they are just cheapo radials) I could get a mid 9 sec 1/8th mile which would be a low 15 maybe a high 14 if conditions were perfect. With the 10mm pump maxed out the most I have heard of them making is around 200hp to the wheels. With the 12mm pump the power would be obviously a hell of alot better. It was only 104 hp at the flywheel stock and probably about a 20 sec car!

Jason

Ha thanks! Thats kinda what I was going for with the black spoke wheels and blacked out headlight trim.

Jason

im not a fan of the hood stack but otherwis its pretty cool..

I only run the hood stack at the race track or when I cruise out to a pulling event.. Usually draws a crowd with the engine showing... With the hood on it just looks like a plain old Volvo. Didn't want to hack up my hood so I just take it off. The stack sounds cool for a few days but gets annoying pretty quick when your driving it daily. Here it is at Gateway last year, with hood installed.
sigpic.jpg

Jason

Last edited:
Very cool project. Wish i had one of those motors to put in my old 242..

untitled-6.jpg

Thanks..

A 242 would really haul ass with a D24t in it, I have toyed with the idea as I love the look of the 242s and my 760 is pretty heavy. I've just got too much work into the car now though. If I ever got rear ended or something and the car was trashed that would be what I would dump the drivetrain into for sure!

Jason

Back