walbro 392 users

All go no show

I'm putting together my fuel system, and want to use the walbro 392 as a pusher into my mechanical lift pump but have a few questions. Does the 392 have a built in check valve, some say yes some say no? Will my mechanical pump pull fuel through the 392 if it's not running? I'd like to hear from some guys that have used these and how they set them up on a 12 valve. My plan is to run a sump into a 14 micron wf seperator, walbro 392, 2 micron filter, 1/2" line to the mechanical pump, 1/2" dual feed into p pump. I'm going to try regulating it with an overflow valve, if that dosent work too well I'll get a real regulator. Return will be 3/8" back to tank, eliminating the stock filter. Thoughts? Hoping for close to 600hp.

Last edited:
Would the walbro supply too much pressure to the stock lp? When I searched I only found where one person had used a walbro, and they deleted the stock pump, although I think they used two walbro's.

BC847 uses it with his VE and at home point I think Ron Allen did as well.

Well at least if the electric pump fails it'll still run. I Fabbed up a mount for my filters and pump, I'm waiting for some fittings to put it all together. I thought about using 2 walbros and go all electric but didn't know if it would be enough. The powerstroke and 3rd Gen guys seem to like them

I wouldn't use a Walbro 392 as a pusher, by itself without a lift pump compounding the pressure, it will make 95-110 psi when the truck is idling and 120 psi if the truck is off.

I guess you could regulate it down to a useable pressure, but I'd rather just get a lower pressure higher volume pump for a pusher, something around 90-140 gph and 15-25 psi.

Wow I didn't think it would build that much pressure. I have a 392 so that's why I was trying to use it. I didn't think it would have enough volume as a stand alone feeding the p pump, but seems like I read that somebody has done it that way. Would that be a possibility?

On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to run the walbro by itself without the mechanical lift pump. Use the ofv as a regulator, or put a real regulator in its place. Set psi to 50ish and be happy. It should easily support the 600 HP you are looking for. And when it's time to go bigger, stick a larger pump in, like an a1000 or something similar.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to run the walbro by itself without the mechanical lift pump. Use the ofv as a regulator, or put a real regulator in its place. Set psi to 50ish and be happy. It should easily support the 600 HP you are looking for. And when it's time to go bigger, stick a larger pump in, like an a1000 or something similar.

I agree, this would work fine, however, back in the day Walbro's were not known to be the most reliable pump when used daily to push diesel fuel. Seems like they would last about 18 months to 3 years tops when used as the primary lift pump. The advantage of a pusher pump is you only run it when you need extra fuel pressure (drag, dyno, hotrodding, etc.) Then it will last the lifetime of the truck.

I don't know of any electrical lift pump that will last several years at high pressure on a diesel pickup so maybe it's not really a concern if you think of it as a routine replacement item every 25k miles.

I'm definitely game for trying that if you guys think it will work. I only put a few thousand miles a year tops on the truck. I have an adjustable tork tek ofv I can try to use. It's a small block Chevy block off plate to blank off the mechanical lift pump right?

Back