Warped flywheel

Nor'Easter

NV4500, 13" Kevlar ceramic single disc. 12k on the clutch and trans.

When cold the clutch works perfect, once it is warmed up it bucks like crazy leaving in first. When it is warm and grabs violently, it will then release and grab again before moving the truck forward.

All other gears are good including reverse.

Just want to confirm before I buy another one.

Thats probably just the characteristics of the ceramic. When they get hot they are eather in or out.. Thats a common issue.

It sounds like it could be your drivetrain loading and unloading not the clutch slipping. I have a dual disk ceramic but if you don't let it out perfect your getting bucked HARD. My dog has been tossed into the dash and onto the floor from a bad start on my part. With any of the ceramic clutches I've driven there is no slippage at all just on or off.

It's a kevlar/ceramic. The past 12k miles it has always slipped enough from a stop to make it comfortable, even when towing.

About 50% of the time it will engage perfectly, the other 50% it just grabs and goes, like you mentioned smokin. There is also the odd occasion where it will grab hard, let go, then grab hard again. I'd be fine with it grabbing, but it's the fact that it goes back and forth between grabbing and engaging smoothly is what has me confused.

I guess if I had enough driveline play it could cause it to buck the truck like it does, even if the clutch was trying to take off smooth???

Last edited:
Been running that clutch for 130k miles and never an issue... Maybe you have some contamination on the friction material

Sent from my Saxaphone

That could easily cause this if one of those drops made it to your friction plate

That could easily cause this if one of those drops made it to your friction plate

I definitely won't rule anything out. It's all coming out to go into another truck eventually so it looks like I will deal with it for now- thanks guys.

Back