Waste gate sticking?

RockinMC

Convience Enthusiest
Occasionally, my 01 will have excessive smoke, high egt's, and low boost numbers, but sometimes if I romp it really hard everything will clear up. Does this sound like a waste gate sticking open? If so, is there anything I can do to fix it myself? It's a "super B" by BD. Thanks in advance for any help!:bow:

Sounds like it's sticking open to me. You might try adjusting the wastegate rod shorter/tighter to apply more closing spring pressure. I'd tighten it 2 turns to get things started.
It might be easier to take the turbo off the truck and do the work on a workbench or the tailgate under a shade tree. While it's off, you might remove the wastegate cover and spray the arm/shaft with brake cleaner while working the arm. I vise grip the rod to lever the rod back on the arm. The stock setting on mine is .200" tight (wastegate diaphram actually under spring compression).

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll tighten it up some to see if it helps but there is already a decent amount of pressure there (IIRC). Maybe not enough though, this charger has always been laggey and I'm not sure if it should be or not. Sometimes I'm almost shifting to 2nd before it lights, sometimes quicker, but never like my stock charger. It never cleans up 110's with the chip off.

:bang So I pulled my charger tonight and removed the wastegate cover. The seats under the valves are shiny, not sooty, so I take this to mean the gate hasn't been sticking open. I adjusted the diaphram to the tightest possible tension, but it can still open fully. Has anyone ever had an intermittent boost leak???? I know it don't make sense, but I got no other clue. Can a VP occasionally over fuel? I'm gonna smoke the entire intake tract tommorrow to see what happens. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?:thankyou2:

Which module are you using? I can adjust my Comp for smoke.
Which injectors/nozzles?
How much boost are you making?

:nail::nail::nail:
Smoke machines are the cat's a$$ for finding boost leaks. I had crap leaking that I was certain wasn't. My issues boiled down to 3 things, Actuator tension helped 40-50%, leak repairs helped 10% maybe, and the new intake I built was the rest. My intake is 4" from the intercooler to the block plate and should be super high flow, but it's also high volume, which is fine but it takes time to fill the space before it makes pressure. When the charger lights it pulls alot harder than stock, but has a big lag that is annoying. Live and learn, now I'm off to build something in-between (over achiever). I over looked the intake because the problem was already there, now just worse. Thanks Clunk for the help:Cheer:

Back