Wastegate control, mechanical or electronic?

zachu812

Blow off valve control, mechanical or electronic?

I installed a BOV on my truck to help with turbo bark at the sand dunes, climbing a hill at WOT and letting off at the top has to be hell for a turbo. I haven't setup a way to actuate it yet, just wanted to make sure it held boost. Who has experience with either method of controlling it and how did it work for you?

Last edited:
Unless you buy the one model special made for a diesel, they are a real pain to get plumbed up to work.

Chris

Haven't run one personally but there's a lot of people running it mechanically and somewhat simple to set up.

I was thinking of using drive pressure but I've heard some people having trouble with that method. Another idea was to have a switch on the pedal that releases it when you let off and a bypass switch to keep it closed on cruise control. I don't want more wiring if I dont have to, but it sounds more reliable than using drive pressure.

I have a friend that rigged up his own control for a tial, I'll see if I can get him to comment here

Well read this. http://www.turbosmartusa.com/new-releases/turbosmart-bov-solution-for-turbo-diesel-applications

Also this 2.5L engine got a BOV we control with a 3/2 solenoid valve coming of the vacuum system of the engine but uses a VGT Garrett turbo and the boost controller is set for max boost all the time so even off throttle decelerating the engine is spins the turbo like crazy having instant boost pressing the accelerator.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEsihRRdTKw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEsihRRdTKw[/ame]

Do you need a BOV? Well we run dunes on the rally pickups Jeeps and semi trucks and surge never gave a problem but for those who run compounds I can understand why you want to run a BOV.

I'm running a mechanical blow off on my compound setup.
I'm running drive pressure to the top...which holds it closed.
Boost to the bottom, which opens it when you let off quickly.
Use a small regulator to adjust the boost pressure to the bottom of the valve, or it will creep open when excellerating, and letting off, or shifting. (Too much blow off...)
Takes a bit of messing around to get it set just right, but it's not too bad.

Diesels dont need BOV, there is no throttle to slam closed against intake flow. I throw it away from gasoline engines too, it was originally used to stop that noise that annoyed Porsche customers.

I'm running a mechanical blow off on my compound setup.
I'm running drive pressure to the top...which holds it closed.
Boost to the bottom, which opens it when you let off quickly.
Use a small regulator to adjust the boost pressure to the bottom of the valve, or it will creep open when excellerating, and letting off, or shifting. (Too much blow off...)
Takes a bit of messing around to get it set just right, but it's not too bad.

What do you mean by adjusting the boost to the bottom of the valve? The valve I have only has one inlet above the diaphragm to hold it closed and the pressure below just pops it open. It's a cheap little ricer bov but it was free so why not.

What do you mean by adjusting the boost to the bottom of the valve? The valve I have only has one inlet above the diaphragm to hold it closed and the pressure below just pops it open. It's a cheap little ricer bov but it was free so why not.

He's talking about the kind that have two cavities (one for drive, one for boost).

Since you're trying to work with the single style, I'd recommend getting a programmable controller, and a solenoid. You could pull throttle position off the TPS, then a simple way to program it would be to open the BOV anytime you drop below 95%.

If you wanted to make it more drivable than that, you'd need to spend some time programming and probably get boost and drive pressure gauges.

Diesels dont need BOV, there is no throttle to slam closed against intake flow. I throw it away from gasoline engines too, it was originally used to stop that noise that annoyed Porsche customers.

Your ignorance is becoming astounding. :nail:

Why is that azz clown even on here? I have never seen a positive post out of him. Just bashing or disagreeing with simple logic.

No idea. I usually just try to ignore him but good lord he needs help. Catch 22 however as he is not willing to accept anything else other than what he already believes.

Back