Water/Air intercooler owners

Since we are getting late into the season and temps are starting to get below freezing, if you have a water/air intercooler don't forget to drain all water out to prevent water from freezing inside the core and causing cracks. If you are done for the season I would recommend completely removing the cooler from the truck and storing it in a climate controlled environment. If you still have some pulls to go I would maybe consider running some type of antifreeze through them. Just a friendly reminder to potentially save you some $$$. Have known a couple of people to ruin coolers from leaving them out all winter with water in them.

Drained everything a few weeks back, gonna circulate some antifreeze in it to make sure there aren't any low spots holding just water.

Good reminder!

We convert to anti freeze as we are hardcore and pull in the snow.... LOL

Good Reminder ...

I just reminded my brother of this yesterday. It is supposed to be in the 20s here the next couple nights. Good reminder!

Will be putting anti freeze in mine after tomorrow

Would there be any advantage to running say rv antifreeze all the time.

I think it would be look at the specific gravity or something(some thermal/conductivity value) of the RV antifreeze. Not sure how it transfers heat.

Last edited:
I need to drain the water out of my dirt bike too, just as soon as I come back from vacation!

My thinking was not only freezing but I know a lot of you guys run you water right out of the steel weightboxes which cause rust. I ran water in my block one time and it made rust/ rusty water. I wouldn't want to put pieces of rust in these high dollar coolers and possibly plugging up the core. Now I now the ice melting will dilute the antifreeze and rv is non toxic

Basically I like the idea of the cooler in the cab but I just was curious to some other opinions. The antifreeze would keep things from freezing and keep things coated to help stop rust and scale buildup. Or maybe just put s banjo filter inline. LOL

I don't think u will get chunks large enough to plug.

Not sure but I have heard of some running airbrake antifreeze. I would be interested to measure the temp of the water with ice/water and with ice/water/antifreeze.

Thought about designing a closed system using Glycol and dry ice.. but the idea kinda got put on the back burner due to practicallity...

i dotn know much about air to water but i had a thought the other day maybe you guys do this but you know how you put rock salt in your ice on ice cream maker to get a colder temp. does anyone do this in there cooler where they keep the ice for there intercooler.

i dotn know much about air to water but i had a thought the other day maybe you guys do this but you know how you put rock salt in your ice on ice cream maker to get a colder temp. does anyone do this in there cooler where they keep the ice for there intercooler.

It would allow the water to be cooler, however salt and aluminum are bad news!

true that was another thought i had and like i said i wasnt familiar with if the water going through intercooler was same water that ice was in or if there was tubing in the cooler tank that transfered from the ice to the coolant water

Back