Water Cooled Bearing Housing.

SmokinCAT

Cheap and Easy.
Curious how critical it is to run coolant for a limited use application?

I have seen many water cooled center sections plugged off. I think they are mainly used on an engine that runs continuously, like a generator, irrigation pump, etc.

BB chargers might need continuous water cooling because there's much less oil flowing through it.

Comp turbo has oil only bb turbos. But I believe all garrett's require water

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I was told by the local builder that non-water housings are heavier and act as a heat sink. Water cooled housings are cast thinner, being hollow they expect water to be there for cooling and if ran without water they can get hot. I was asking about running a water cooled gasser turbo on a diesel (which should be cooler) without water and that was his answer.

The air cooled centers have external fins to help dissipate heat as shown below.

gtx5055_d450.jpg

Additional cooling is required due to the decreased volume of oil. In short run time applications many will fill the water area with oil and cap it.

The air cooled centers have external fins to help dissipate heat as shown below.

gtx5055_d450.jpg

Additional cooling is required due to the decreased volume of oil. In short run time applications many will fill the water area with oil and cap it.

You think that would work for a short duration drag car like mine?

Back