Water Spots On Pain

blackcumn

I have water spots on paint, and no matter how hard I scrub they won't come off. I did see on another post to use Dawn because it'll take off the wax and build-up. I've heard about the clay bar, how long did it take to do your whole truck? I've also got the wife's Sequoia to do. It drives me insane to see those dang spots! Thanks.

Jared

Clay bar will work. Wash the vehicle first to remove dirt then spritz a section of the panel with the included lube (if it didn't come with a lube sprayer its glorified soapy water) and gently glide the clay bar across the lubricated panel.

As you wipe the clay bar will flatten out and gradually pick up enough contaminants off the panel to a point it will no longer be effective. Simply fold one end of the clay bar across the dirty side to the other end of the clay bar which will expose a clean surface of clay. Repeat as needed.

IMO I wouldn't mess with the medium clay only the fine especially if the vehicles are dark in color.

FWIW through my own carelessness I managed to cover 70% of a red 06 Mustang GT with white epoxy overspray (once it cures its stuck for good) and with some serious hustling it only took 45 minutes between a single fine clay bar a garden hose as my lube.LOL

Thanks Boost for the info. I have a friend that barred his truck and it took him all day...and I mean that literally. I washed the truck today and the water spots are loud and embarassing. Will have to go and get a couple of clay bars this week for a weekend fix.

I managed to clay bar my entire black regular cab in ~4 hours. I couldn't believe the difference in shine and pure sexiness. It did take the waterspots off. That particular clay bar looks nasty now. Lots of tar on the rockers.

Last edited:
yep, I am a big fan of the clay bar, but it does take some serious time. and the 'spray wax' they give you smells like cinnamon, which isnt all bad

I picked up 2 Presta clay bars today to clay my entire truck as preventaive maintenance and I'll let you know how long it takes.

There's only 6K miles on it so it shouldn't be too nasty.

It took me 6 hours to clay bar my entire truck. It was a pain in the behind but dang it looked awesome.

the way we do the clay baring here at work (body shop) i never used the spray the comes with the clay bar ,,,, i get a 5 gal bucket use a good amount of car soap or dawn ,,, clean truck or car and spray it off ,,, change the water in the bucket,,, and put in aleast a half gal of soap, dawn or car wash soap in the bucket,, used the wash mit and coat the panel with the soap and water mix and clay bar ,keeping the panel very wet ,,, and do one panel at a time ,,, clay bar use the mit ,, get it soapy ,,, it well go fast ,,, i can do my truck in less that a hour ,,,spray it off ,,, dry it than wax it,,, smooth as my butt!!!!!

Your butt is smooth? Thats kinda:homo: .....Or are you saying that your clay baring job is so-so:poke: ?

Now before you get mad, realize I am joking...:hehe: Cause I know I wouldn't want my paintjob as smooth as my butt....Oh wait, it is. Rock chip, tar blobs and birdpoop includedLOL

I've used both the Mothers brand and the Maguires brand. I preferred using the Maguires brand with Turtle Wax's Liquid Ice quick detailer.

you would have to go to a automotive paint supply store ie finish masters to to get the clay bar ,,, and you can get them in differant grits ie 3000 grit, 2000, 1500 its about 30.00 a bar ,,, but you will get thee times the amount you would from mothers and so on ,,,, front of the package will have a guy thats looks like gummby on their

Back