Water Temps

Green Monster

what temps are your trucks running? i had my thermostat go bad last winter and my clutch on my fan was stuck so i had to run cardboard in front of my radiator to get the truck to warm up, the problem now is i dont thinks its running warm enough i never realy kept a close eye on the temp gauge to remeber what it ran before and its seems like it should be high that it is, i get good heat but im looking for what my normal opperating temp should be and problems as to why it wouldnt be running warm enough. it runs the same temp weather its 90 degrees or 10 degrees. thanks for the help.

i see 210 every day, no matter how cold or hot it is outside and i run no winter front and it gets down to 0 all the time here in the winter. but i have to drive the truck kinda hard to get it to warm up, if i drive it easy it will take along time to warm up when it 0 outside.

Mine is any where from the first 1/5 to 1/4 of the gauge to 190 on up to 200 after a wot run then it immediately cycles back down to the first 1/5 to 1/4 of the gauge. Before the head swap it would cycle all the time but now it only really does it on occasion or after a wot run.

mine goes right to 190 and no higher with no cardboard or anything even in the heat of the summer i have never had to turn my electric fans on other than just checking to see if they are still working. i do have the original 4 core radiator that i had in the truck with the 6.5 if that makes any difference.

when its cold (-0) it takes about 5 miles of easy highway to get mine up to opperating temp, after that it cycles back and forth 140/190. I also have grille inserts and supposedly the updated thermostat.

I have that updated thermostat in mine and i never see 190 even during the summer. ive also wounderd if my sending unit for my gauges isnt reading right anymore. the gauge reads starting point is 140 then theirs the line and then the 190 mark, my gauge reads all the time just a needle width over the line.

I just put in a new Cummins thermostat and it gets up to 190deg. pretty quick then falls off to around 160 or so then back to 190 and so on. Depending on how I drive. Be careful about the parts house thermostats they're bad about sticking closed or open, first one I got ended up being a gasser one or something and my temps went into the red and stayed there before I could get somewhere and get it shut down.Had to gut it on the side of the road just to get home, I was pissed!! My opinion is if you are running a stat from say Autozone, Advanced and so on trash it b/c it will eventually fail. Get one from Cummins a little pricey though. Just my opinion and on the other hand I do know people who has had good luck with em' I was just not one of them.

my thermostat came from cummins i dont buy parts for my motor from the autoparts store i go to my local cummins dealer 9 times out of 10 my cummins guy hooks me up and its cheaper than the auto parts store, i buy my fuel and oil filters from cummins to fleetgaurd fiters in a 6 pack. i started and warmed my truck up before coming home from work tonight it never got to 190 the gauge slowly came up just past the white line and stayed their it didnt drop or go on up just crawled up and stayed were its been running. i dont know if theirs any truth to it or not but ive heard theirs a differance between the thermostats for the 12 valve and 24 valve but i dont think my cummins dealer would give me the wrong parts i tell them every time im in their its a 12 valve.

Thats good about where you get the parts and all it just sounded like a typical autoparts store product failing I really dont know what else to say about your problem unless it's a faulty stat that happens with the best of the best of the manufactures. But I might check my water temp. with an alternate gauge just to see if the gauge in the truck is taking a chit or not.

this is going to sound bad probably but i just havent found a reason to do it as ive had no heat issuses what so ever. absolutely no coolant change n i have never once got my truck over 190 even at wot on the road but one day i did make it to 200 doing donuts in my yard on a 95 degree day n when i stoped it fell back to below 190

Back