Water to Air options

little6cylinder

Everything is "fixable"
I'm switching to a water to air on the drag truck truck and I'm trying to decide what cooler to run. I have thought about different places to mount it. Behind the bumper, above the passenger side fender, or even in the cab like a lot of 10.5 cars. I'm leaning toward above the fender. Then running an 8 gallon fuel cell in the bed and a Bosch bilge pump from Frozen boost. I'll still drive it on the street too so I was looking at running an all aluminum Afco dragster radiator to cool the water.

Here is the cooler I'm looking at just for air flow but I'm not sure 2500CFM is necessary.
Water to Air Intercoolers

Here is the Radiator I am looking to use
AFCO Racing 80104N - AFCO Racing Scirocco-Style Drag Racing Radiators - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Just looking for a little feedback from people who have done it. I know a lot of pullers run Frozen boost 1500CFM W/A's but I don't know if that's because of room or just because thats all thats necessary. Does the W/A need to flow the same CFM as the turbos? Thats what steered me more towards the 2500CFM.

Thanks in advance, John

john ive made this suggestion before but why not run the through type before the air to air and maybe another one after..
i used the frozen boost water pump, 12x12x2 heat exchanger and 12" electric fan for my cooler between stages.. both the pulls ive done it taken enough heat to push some past the cap... Im thinking of maybe putting a resevour so i can run ice through it also..

My reservoir will be ice water when I'm racing. I don't like air to airs because they don't work as well as a water to air. Plus I know I'm going to blow up the stocker and don't want to spend money on a good water to air along with an air to air. Plus I don't want to run a ton of piping for spool up reasons. My W/A won't use engine coolant so that will increase effiency. Also I thought having an 8 gallon reservoir and an aluminum radiator will keep temps down too.

I like the idea of water to air because even with no movement like spooling turbos they're still efficient. Just trying to decide on the right components. Do you think the 2500 CFM is over kill and I should use a 1500? The cooler I want is 17" by 12 1/4 by 9 with a 4" inlet and outlet.

Last edited:
i feel its overkill but thats why we do this right..
mine isnt running engine coolant but its own cooling system.. thats just the water to air between the stages.. i have a hypermax(fummins) for the high pressure side, i ended up using 4x 12" fans on the radiator so it has some air moving even sitting still..

i do not.. im sure its better than with nothing because its hard to deny that its obsorbing some of the heat to expand it enough to blow the heated coolent past the cap on the exchanger during a pull..

Back