Waterman and fuel pressure???

cumminstroked

I just finished a waterman setup on my 12v and am wondering if the pressure is a little high. I have -10 lines running from my fuel cell in the bed through my 100 micron filter to the pump mounted in the front cover. -10 line from the waterman pump to the -8 dual feed setup. My fuel pressure gauge is located at the split from -10 to -8 dual feed setup. I am running a non restricting ofv and a 50 psi check valve after the injection pump. I have a 70 psi check valve on a return line off the side of the waterman. Both the return line off the inj pump and and the waterman are -6 and run into a Y and then -8 all the way back to the fuel cell.
At idle I see about 52 psi and at about 3000 rpms with no load it's already up to about 63 psi. I'm a little concerned about where it'll be at 5200 rpms. What is everybody's opinions/thoughts? Will it be too high pressure? Do I have it setup within reason?
Any advice or criticism is appreciated.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At a 3000 rpm no load free rev, you're not using much rack travel and therefore not using much fuel at your injection pump, while your waterman in providing fuel based on rpm and load not being a factor as far as it's concerned.

You have to get to rpm and load/rack travel to see what your pressure is actually going to do.

Even without accounting for fuel being used, at that rate 5200rpm would be around 75psi. No that's not too much pressure.

Not an exact comparison but I run an belt driven aeromotive setup at about the same pressure (55 idle and 65 pretty much all rpms over idle) feeding a 13mm pump. It's about the most my regulator will bypass and has been this way for over a year without any issues.

75psi is fine, but would not go any further.
Be sure of proper lube additive

Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm actually on the right track. I'm sure the pressure drops quite a bit at full rack.
What type of lubricating additive is recommended?

Depending on what org you run, and if you can pass tech.
There are mutiple company's/additive mixes out there.

I have looked way into this recently, reason being bought a 13mm used. Supposed to be good. Cam and followers and plungers and barrels were rusted, and scared so bad it needed replaced so..

I can point you in the right direction CDS and Drew @ D&J. Dyno tested some products, and check everything out. Give drew a call. He will set you up .

If you still feel like 75psi is too much, you could always use a modified 50psi check valve to around 60psi in the return line, off the Waterman and that'd slightly lower the pressure. That might put your mind at a little ease.

Depending on what org you run, and if you can pass tech.
There are mutiple company's/additive mixes out there.

I have looked way into this recently, reason being bought a 13mm used. Supposed to be good. Cam and followers and plungers and barrels were rusted, and scared so bad it needed replaced so..

I can point you in the right direction CDS and Drew @ D&J. Dyno tested some products, and check everything out. Give drew a call. He will set you up .

I am not too worried about finding an additive that adds power. Just looking for something to maintain what I have. I use stanadyne in my 6.4 and it does a good job. It starts better in the cold. Seems to run smoother and there is a small increase in fuel mileage. I may have to give drew a call and pick his brain a little bit. Thanks for all the help guys.

If you still feel like 75psi is too much, you could always use a modified 50psi check valve to around 60psi in the return line, off the Waterman and that'd slightly lower the pressure. That might put your mind at a little ease.

I thought about that. I also have a really nice fuel lab regulator that's good up to 150 psi. I could put it between the waterman and inj pump. It has -10 input and output and a -6 return port. I will probably leave it all for now and see what it hits when it's under a load and actually using most of the fuel. I appreciate all the input guys.

Searching for another answer and came across this.

You say its 63psi at 3k, but you haven't hit the opening pressure of the return check valve off the waterman yet. When it hits 70psi that high speed check valve should start to open to regulate the pressure coming out of the waterman to no more than 70psi. The 50psi check on the p-pump return is going to be open most of the time letting that excess pressure through the p-pump which will keep a steady flow of cool fuel into the pump housing.

Back