Waterman Lift Pump on P-pump 24v

Jacob 76

Let'er Buck
How much strain does it put on the pump to have to pull fuel from the tank all the way to the front of the engine? With a fass or airdog the pump only has to pull fuel a few inches before it's pressurized and sent to the engine but having the mechanical pump in the front of the engine it must pull fuel almost 10 feet. I'm worried about sucking fuel lines shut unless I run like -16, or killing the pump because there is such a long distance to pull fuel. Any thoughts?

the waterman/BG/Aeromotive/Enderle style fuel pumps usually need to be below the fuel supply, so gravity is feeding the pump. This usually also means the fuel pickup is a bung in the bottom of the tank, not a tube from the top of the tank. its not uncommon to see AN-10 feed line, and an AN8 from the pump to the regulator, wit ha AN-6 or AN-8 return line

I use a waterman on my puller. fuel cell in the bed with -12 feeding to a "y" block and -10 into the pump with -6 on a regulated return. Had no problems out of it

Cool, so I should be ok then? I've got a CCLB OBS ford. So it's got quite a long ways to pull fuel.

I have a 10 gallon tank with a sump in the bottom. It is mounted under the bed in the factory location. I was worried about sucking hoses closed too so I used a hydraulic hose with barbed AN fittings pushed into it. no problems.

I'm looking to purchase a Waterman pump and bypass,shut off valve. Any recommendations who to purchase from. Thanks Jason

Have you guys noticed any downside to having a mechanical pump over an electric pump? Also should I run a boost reference regulator or just set it at 50 psi and let it go?

Last edited:
My puller is just set with the inline check valve and never had a problem out of it. Never pulled the lines shut or dropped below 60PSI. Used braided fuel lines from jegs. My fuel cell came with a -8 outlet, I cut if off and welded a -12 onto it along with (4) -6 returns.

how are these pumps being driven. Does someone make a drive spud? Or is this something we have to make?

@seeker1056 - You have to use a billet front cover and the mechanical pump is driven off the vacuum pump.

My plan was to use the stock front tank and weld in a steel sump with pickup and return. That way I can still have my sender so my fuel gauge works.

i have the billet cover. I was wondering about the actual drive spud. How it connects to the drive gear, and who sells it

Back