Weight of Haul?

More like the banker and the lawyer, they might let you go..with just the truck :bang

The DOT rules and regs are getting much tougher, very soon if you pull a trailer at all you better be able to PROVE what's on it belongs to you.

yea DOT rules go into effect on JAN 1ST 07 here in alabama an they are getting up to par as to speak got pulled over other week an officer only ask for liscence an to look inside my door to ck my gvrw on trk an then looked on trailer for it an simply said do you know that you are not exempt from a inspection i said um yes sir simply said have a good day {told me that all laws will be in full effect 1st of yr } no just getting buy no more now i gotta get all my trailers up to par quick now lol an go get a health card /an a mc number
so now i gotta get a mc number for my toters /an my truck prolly same i believe an a dot physical to get my health card but as far as cdl told my i was ok unless i grossed over 26k.only haul 11-20 k with my truck i dunno if i ever been over that with this trk but gonna try get my cdl for driving cause my driver told me in 2 yrs he is retireing lol

Burner - Get a x3 (33,000) tag at the courthouse. Cost more but you got to have it. A x4 tag lets you run up to 42,000. I running a F2 farm tag which is good for 42,000 because a F1 only gets you up to 30,000. If you get caught with something that isn't yours on the trailer, get ready for the fines. AL DOT will be more than happy to give them to you. (I KNOW) By the way, A truck with the gross weight comb. of 10,500 and a 10 ton gooseneck (20,000#) will put me over the F1 weight but under the X3 rating. 30,500 your over.*bdh*

From what I understand, anything over 26,001lbs (truck and trailer) need a CDL Class A Combo Lic as well.

Unless they have changed it you are correct Tim, since it is a combo vehicle, with a straight truck I am legal up to 42k (?? memory is a bit fuzzy). Class of license determines how much you can gross and what you can gross it in.

6.0kingranch said:
I have a regular license and gross over 30k on a regualr basis. I just stay off the highways so DOT isn't an issue.

.....just have a wreck and you'll change your mind...or whish you had.

There are going to be alot of people arrested in the new year .:hehe: Any vehicle engaged in commerce greater than 10,000 will require a DOT # and DOT physical card , you are legal to GVW 25,999. After that you need a CDL. They are putting you out of service with simple infractions now. We have noticed in the last week that they are enforcing real hard .
Any trailer with the GVW of + 10,000 requires a Class A CDL . Does not matter whats pulling it.

BROKER said:
There are going to be alot of people arrested in the new year .:hehe: Any vehicle engaged in commerce greater than 10,000 will require a DOT # and DOT physical card , you are legal to GVW 25,999. After that you need a CDL. They are putting you out of service with simple infractions now. We have noticed in the last week that they are enforcing real hard .
Any trailer with the GVW of + 10,000 requires a Class A CDL . Does not matter whats pulling it.

That really sucks. I pull to that are 14k and 20k on a regular basis. Hope it doesn't get that bad here in Miami.

Hey Tom, I'm kinda out of the loop on the new rules, are they saying that a privately owned, non-commercial vehicle towing a trailer with a GVW of over 10k has to be pulled by a driver holding a class A?? Or is it just for any commercial application?? As I understood the previous rules, I was legal pulling a trailer or driving a straight truck so long as the CGVWR was under 42K. This is with a class B endorsement.

the inforcement is in full effect nation wide IM NOT SURE ON PRIVATE VEHICLES but any combo over 10,000lbs must have a DOT NUMBER, DOT INSPECTION,HEALTH CARD, AN BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE 49 CFR 396 REQUIREMENTS OF THE LAW etc.the old days are gone now , the revenue guys are everywere ive been these last 2 weeks the bad thing is the dang dot rolling round under ur truck an trailer just trying to find you a ticket now

BROKER said:

You mean any COMMERCIAL trailer over 10,000. Even a truck with a GVWR over 10K would require a class B if it was commercial.

I haul hay though and we haul it under my friends ranch. Like Robert, I have said I am hauling hay for myself and it has never been a problem. They shut me down in MO once for running wide load at night, that's all. He just told me to pull off at the next exit and sleep til daylight, and left.

As for highest weight, we crossed the scales the other day at 37,200 lbs.

15 big round bales, 38' Gooseneck triple dually axles, 1997 F-350 PowerChoke.
Pulled it 65 with the cruise on the interstate. That is until we hit big hills or a massive head wind. :bow:

Flying_J_Scale.jpg

2007 F-350 dually Tow boss. 4.30s. Good on the front axle. Good on the rear axle. Trailer wasn't happy.

GREGROB said:
You mean any COMMERCIAL trailer over 10,000. Even a truck with a GVWR over 10K would require a class B if it was commercial.

I haul hay though and we haul it under my friends ranch. Like Robert, I have said I am hauling hay for myself and it has never been a problem. They shut me down in MO once for running wide load at night, that's all. He just told me to pull off at the next exit and sleep til daylight, and left.

As for highest weight, we crossed the scales the other day at 37,200 lbs.

15 big round bales, 38' Gooseneck triple dually axles, 1997 F-350 PowerChoke.
Pulled it 65 with the cruise on the interstate. That is until we hit big hills or a massive head wind. :bow:

Nope , FMCSA nation wide rule , any trailer over 10k exept travel trailer. It was on the news in Maine warning people last weekend too. Hay hauling has all kinds of restrictions now since its part of the Patriots act and the food chain. I'll dig it up again for the Hay part.......

Give me a week or so and I will have a scale ticket ; there aresome new pics of straw hualin' in my gember gallery.

2007 Dodge 3500 4dr 4wd 6spd BRIGHT WHITE with a 40' goose neck flatbed
any where from 20 to 26 4'x6' round rolls according to how rough it is to get in and out of the field that I am in at the time
:ft: and driving it 20-50 miles @ 50 MPH

I wonder what my egt's are:hehe: :hehe: :ft: :ft: :st:

Last edited:
Guys I just saw this thread, I saw personally no bs last night a guy around here's weigh ticket, he grossed out at 47,500 with a '07 Dodge 3500 with a '43 dual tandem. Needless to say his airbags were generously inflated. He does this often goin from one end of TN to the other.

Back