Weighted cranks

Agree with J-rod and Parstguy. Torque comes from cylinder pressure.

I'm sure it "feels" more torquey when you have a bunch of inertia so that when you stab a gear, it pushes right through instead of sucking the engine rpm down a whole lot.

Same reason why low-speed Corliss steam engines had giant flywheels...store up enough energy that short-term high loading had as little impact as possible.

The picture below is not mine, but mine is similar, I belive it came in approx 28lbs heavier after being weighted.

Cost I belive was right arount $1,700 to get it magnafluxed and wieghted. They won't do it if it fails the magnaflux test obviously so make sure it's a good crank before you ship it out.

Wieghted_Crank.jpg

What other crank shops do this? I know SI Crank does.

I also know all the big diesel shops have these too, but they have someone else do them.

Any info????

We had a knifededged crank 12lb lighter than stock will hurt you at the end of the track taking it out and putting in a weighted one that is 25lb heaver than stock I was doing weighted cranks and flywheels 25 to 30 years ago in garden tractors that we pulled make one hell of a difference at the end of the track I have a buddy that put a weighted crank in his super stock tractor last year that is all he did and now he is at the top of the class the motor stay's up in the opperating range now all the way down the track.lighten cranks are for dragraceing not pulling that is why we're pulling out the knifed egded one.you can lighten up the rod and the pistons all you want the not going to affect the crank balance the crank is a zero bance already.
inertia is one of the maine things to think about when your building a pulling motor.Not that good for the street and raceing.

Dale

I want one lol I have heard some of the powerstroke weighting theirs up to 75lbs but 25 to 35 makes more since to me

We had a knifededged crank 12lb lighter than stock will hurt you at the end of the track taking it out and putting in a weighted one that is 25lb heaver than stock I was doing weighted cranks and flywheels 25 to 30 years ago in garden tractors that we pulled make one hell of a difference at the end of the track I have a buddy that put a weighted crank in his super stock tractor last year that is all he did and now he is at the top of the class the motor stay's up in the opperating range now all the way down the track.lighten cranks are for dragraceing not pulling that is why we're pulling out the knifed egded one.you can lighten up the rod and the pistons all you want the not going to affect the crank balance the crank is a zero bance already.
inertia is one of the maine things to think about when your building a pulling motor.Not that good for the street and raceing.

Dale

I thought Vance pulled his lightened crank out for the 2009 season already?

Enterprise Engine does it. They said 2100.00 and they put 30# in between 2 and 5

What??

Adding weight to a crankshaft has absolutely zero effect on the torque output of an engine.

Added for balance...yes...

Added for more rotating mass for inertia...yes..

+1

Steady state power does not change, but the ability to keep running while shock loaded, or what I call "stall torque" is greater

oh boy........ this is getting interesting!!!
nice one dan...............

Back