Welding a cam gear on...

Please tell me no one really thinks welding a gear on will throw the balance off enough to matter! That thing with the gear weights what, 15 lbs! It's like re-balancing that 100 lb crank to turn 4K.

Jim

I figured it would a little but as long as you check Balance.....

Newengine048.jpg

I think as small as the diameter of the gear is it wouldn't matter. I would still go with a retainer though.

We will all know the failure if Mikes cam gear comes off :hehe:.
J/K
Brandon

In my opinion I feel that it is much better to use a retainer. Welding the cam gear on to the cam makes it harder to change the intake centerline of the cam. One would be limited to 10* changes only with a welded on gear, where a retainer can still use offset keys to make adjustments.

In my opinion I feel that it is much better to use a retainer. Welding the cam gear on to the cam makes it harder to change the intake centerline of the cam. One would be limited to 10* changes only with a welded on gear, where a retainer can still use offset keys to make adjustments.

10*??
Wouldnt it be 5* since the only way you can change the degrees now is by moving a tooth:poke:

Ive welded a few, just a small tack. Theres no need to weld it much, the key keeps it from spinning the weld just keeps the gear from walking.

It is..See above :rockwoot:

Ive welded a few, just a small tack. Theres no need to weld it much, the key keeps it from spinning the weld just keeps the gear from walking.

Like pictured above...

Its kinda scary because remember when my cam gear broke and we figured it was from when "You know who" heated up the gear with a torch and then pressed the gear on:bang

The Key should be only for alinement.

As long as you dont weakin the gear i would think that 3 plug welds from the back side would work well.

i welded mine and welded the crank gear on and i run the billet front cover so i run the cam retainer also

I'dstill like to know how these gears are slippin off, considerin what it takes to get em on

Why didnt cummins make the gear pattern the other way so it tries to push the gear on? But that would be too easy I guess.

I don't have a gear in front of me, but wouldn't the crank gear force push the gear on, and the force the gear exerts on the pump push it off? Or vice versa? Maybe it is the stupid right hand rule coming in to play.

Back