Welding a timing gear housing

WhiteKnight

so i got a 12v timing gear housing that i was going to use to p pump my 24v and it has been cracked by the kdp. its a small crack along the top of the housing and i was curious is i could weld it. i have been told you couldnt becuase it has been oil soaked and the porosity of the metal. has anyone welded theirs?

it should be fine i had one welded up and gave it to a friend and its still on his truck.

Don't jack with the jb man. That's the cheap route most definitely but it's only a matter or time before it will need fixed again. I have never had good luck with jb. I would weld it. Shouldn't be any problem

I've had 50/50 luck with jb I was just throwing that out there, This is coming from a guy who sucks at welding aluminum. (me)

take a lil propane torch and burn off the oil in the little area to be welded. it will weld better. it wont take much to get the oil off.

I would just clean the cover the best you can to avoid any contamination in the weld puddle.

grind out the crack with a christmas tree shaped cutter and use brake cleaner to wash the area around it. and it is a pretty good idea to clamp the cover to something flat to keep it from warping. i just clamped it to the welding table. i have welded up a few of them with out any troubles.

It welds just fine the oil will burn out.

I wouldn't rely on the heat of the weld to burn out the contaminates...

grind out the crack with a christmas tree shaped cutter and use brake cleaner to wash the area around it. and it is a pretty good idea to clamp the cover to something flat to keep it from warping. i just clamped it to the welding table. i have welded up a few of them with out any troubles.

This is how I would do it. I haven't welded a timing case, but I've welded some other oil soaked aluminum stuff. The biggest thing is to get it as clean as you possibly can before starting on it. A bit of preheat would help things too.

Clean the gear case first to remove excessive oil and dirt, (do not use brake cleaner because deadly fumes will be emitted when heat is applied)preheat the aluminum with a torch prior to welding, all that needed is a few hundred degrees. Have the welder ready to weld the piece immediately after heating because aluminum transfers heat very fast.

Use a solvent or a mild alkaline solution washing. Acetone works well for cleaning aluminum before welding. Used it all the time in welding school. Then you can use a stainless wire brush to remove any debris.

Use a solvent or a mild alkaline solution washing. Acetone works well for cleaning aluminum before welding. Used it all the time in welding school. Then you can use a stainless wire brush to remove any debris.

I should have mentioned that, I always use acetone as well in lieu of the more common brake cleaner.

Back