Welding on fuel rail?

kleann

VP44 pwr
I am thinking about making a high pressure line/rail pressure sensor junction block with an old 5.9 cummins rail, which I would cut in half and get the cut end tig welded up. Has anyone here welded on one of these rails and have any advice?

It's a forging, so I don't think there would be any cracking issues from welding it.
Instead of plug welding the end, I'd look into seeing if you could tap and plug it.

Mark.

Thanks for the input. I suppose I could do what motorsport diesel did and cut a rail and machine the ends, but I was thinking welding it would be less complex and I wouldn't have to find a high pressure plug.

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
The rail is case hardened, once you brake threw the outside you can work
with it.

i have repaired welded them ..and injection lines as well. pretty dam hard to keep from cracking where it was broken. I think if you were just going to add a port or something and it wasn't already broken it might work. be tig for sure..and clean..cuz that tiny little leak will have alotta psi

Any filler suggestions, pre-post heat, preening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a forging, so I don't think there would be any cracking issues from welding it.
Instead of plug welding the end, I'd look into seeing if you could tap and plug it.

Mark.

If you machine the end off, you could tap it. inside is soft.
I machined all the the feed ports off, took 3 carbide end miles.
I turned down each piece on a lathe. I did this thinking I might
want to add another port for dual feed lines.

Jags pro truck shop in zimmerman does this and sells the rails with as many as you want. Jeff, takedown 95 is selling one of his. Theoretically you can run two feed lines from each pump

This is what I did. Took a 5.9 rail cut the end off with the prv and sensor in it. The factory feed is on the bottom still. Can have a extra prv and still dual feeding the rail! Tapped the end for a plug incase I'd ever want to run triple cp3 setup.
b9ac5b22a0fa665cbe39f153ea2967be.jpg

Sorry pics not the greatest but you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back