Welding Rearend Solid

cumins01

Looking some input from the pullers. Since 2.6 went to ODL, I am going to put in a new rear end and weld it in solid since my local org is allowing me to remove my leaf springs and brakes. My question is what size of tube should I use?

2x2x1/4
1-1/2x1-1/2x1/4
2x2x3/16?

I know lighter is better but don't want it to fall out or break
Thanks

I used 2x3 16ga with no issues. I've seen others use 1.5x1.5 or 2x2 anywhere from 11-16ga. Set it up right and you can go really light. Welding it may be the toughest part.

I'm going to do 2x2x3/16 wall. 1/4" wall would be overkill and most frames have a 2"lip on them.. look into doing a full ladder bar/truss setup instead of traction bars also.. I'm going this route.. has 2.6 ODL. Been confirmed in writing? Only for ppl?

I did my main supports forward, back to the hitch, and vertical in 2x2x1/4 and the rest in 1x1. I also put a piece of 1/4 plate in around the rear axle and welded to all the support bars the full length of the plate.

Thanks guys. Jeff, Dave and duramaxzak, did you to yours without any extra weight? Like no box, engine, bed, etc.? I seen your pics Jeff and yours was just a frame.

I did mine with everything installed, but I set it up on jackstands where I wanted the truck to sit and just went to town with the welder.

Thanks guys. Jeff, Dave and duramaxzak, did you to yours without any extra weight? Like no box, engine, bed, etc.? I seen your pics Jeff and yours was just a frame.

I wasn't too concerned with any loading once weight was put on it. I just adjusted my hitch having a good idea of how far the nose would dip down fully loaded. Came out within 1/2" of where I guessed which was well within the limits of my adjusters.

Back