Well, wasn't expecting this

gitchesum

I was just planning on swapping injectors out, wasn't planning on pulling the head to replace the head gasket.

I gotta tell ya though, for a truck which was basically running on 4 cylinders, you wouldn't have known it if you were driving it. And it was still getting 16-17 mpg.

gasket.jpg

engine1.jpg

Head and block seem fine. I'm having the head decked and I'll get a better look at the block this week.

I figured since I had the injectors out, might as well do a leak down test to see how tight the motor is. #4 was at about 85% leakdown, blowing right out the #5 injector hole.

FYI, I only had a 4% leakdown on the rest of the piston at 169,000 miles.

It didn't run any differently? Thats kinda scary! I hope mine isn't like that.

thanks goodness for Michael's leakdown setup! :D

that truck is a testament to the 03/04 trucks LOL Just out of curiosity, what's the build date on your truck? You and Jamar have truly proven the strength/reliability of the 03/04's!

It has a slight, and I mean slight shudder at low RPM's. It always had a slight vibration at idle, that's what the new injectors were going in for. I just figured the injectors were getting worse and causing the shudder.

I could still roast the tires going into second gear when I wanted them to.

Damn, glad you caught it early. Is it at your house or at Mike"s?

169k? You'd never know it looking at it. IMHO!

It's sitting at the back of Mike's shop right now. I've all but quit working on cars in my driveway now.

Back