were to mount the pyro sensor???

covey88

Ok I have had people to tell me to mount the sensor, so help me out. I have heard before turbo on manifold and I have heard after turbo. Tell me which one and why, also is there a difference and what is it?

mount it on the manifold you get a more accurate reading of your egt's

Mount it in the exhaust manifold/pre-turbo. Do not mount it in the middle though, there is a wall cast in right there. Measure to the middle of the flange and back off half way.

89-02 Dodge RAM
Pyrometer Installation Tips

No, this is not complete instructions on how to install gauges. However a common question is where to drill and tap for the pyrometer probe installation. First the exhaust manifold is a dual passage design with 3 cylinders feeding into a front and rear exhaust runner. A vertical wall separates the two exhaust runners. Thus the mounting hole cannot be drilled down the center of the manifold. It must be drilled in the center of either the front or rear exhaust runner. PDR recommeds using the rear exhaust runner.

An important part of the process will be removing all of the drill and tap shavings from within the manifold. There are a number of ways to do this. The most effective but also the most time consuming way is to remove the turbo for easy access into the inside of the manifold. Other tricks to remove shavings without removing the turbo include putting vasoline on the drill bit so the shavings stick to it, versus falling inside. Use a small rubber hose with make-shift attachment to a shop vac and suck them out. And use a small mechanics magnet that fits down the hole, and repeatedly remove shavings until the magnet comes out clean. Use as many tricks as you can.

Finally study the pictures below before starting to verify you have marked the proper location to drill and proper depth to tab for the pipe fittings. These are very important.

* Locate a point 2 inches from the turbo mounting flange in the center of the manifold.
* Move forward or rearward 5/8 inch and use a center punch to mark for drilling.
* Start by drilling a small pilot hole
* Drill a 11/32 inch hole if the probe uses a 1/8" NPT fitting
* Drill a 7/16 inch hole if the probe uses a 1/4" NPT fitting
* Tap hole to the proper depth using the with proper size tapered tap for your probe.
pyrohole.jpg

pyromount.jpg

mount post turbo, will keep you aware of turbo failures and just to make sure it's working properly. $.02

really for manifold to be really accurate you'd want 6 probes, 1 per each cylinder to make sure you have consistent temps, check for misfires..etc.

Big12Valve said:
mount post turbo, will keep you aware of turbo failures and just to make sure it's working properly. $.02

really for manifold to be really accurate you'd want 6 probes, 1 per each cylinder to make sure you have consistent temps, check for misfires..etc.

:welcome:

ok know im confused agian here we go so big 12valve says post and the rest say pre is he right the post is better becuase pre you need six sensors to monitor all 6 cylingers?????????????:bang :what: *bdh*

Covey.... Go in the manifold, it's the place to be.....

If your turbo chits you'll be the first to know..... Not like your gonna save it.

If you need to see it and your near NE Ohio stop by and I can show you where.

PS: Only one Thermocouple is needed, guys like to use thr rear portion of the manifold so they catch the back three. DO NOT DRILL in the center of the manifold, there is a web in it and you will need to go clear through to get out of steel.....

set you a pm and were at north east ohio i live near wooster like 30 mins from akron

Yea I have mine between 5-6 ...... Should be the hottest spot of all .......

I see 1800+ on a 1/4 mile run LOL but who looks at pyro anyway

mount it where you wamt post or pre, post the temps will read lower then pre but pre doesn't tell you the exact temp either since you are only able to read 3 cylinders of exhaust. Another thing is most pyro gauge makers say post. One reason is because if the thermo gets to hot and melts or some how breaks bye bye turbo. Either location is fine just remember not to go to high on EGT numbers if it is post. People like to use pre also because it tell them the temp at which the cylinders and head start screaming I'm melting I'm melting. But it is your decision and neither way is wrong, it is up to you what you feel comfortable with doing and having for you and your truck.

JacktheBear3 said:
PS: Only one Thermocouple is needed, guys like to use thr rear portion of the manifold so they catch the back three. DO NOT DRILL in the center of the manifold, there is a web in it and you will need to go clear through to get out of steel.....

ok this doesnt make much sense...my friend did the same except he put his after 1 & 2....after he drilled into the center and completely messed his manifold up. this makes no sense why monitor 2 or 3 cylinders when there are rest that could have individual problems??

covey88 said:
ok know im confused agian here we go so big 12valve says post and the rest say pre is he right the post is better becuase pre you need six sensors to monitor all 6 cylingers?????????????:bang :what: *bdh*

I'm not saying got out and buy 6 pyro's...but it would make more sense to me if you were going to monitor any cylinders it might as well be all 6! that's my own opinion...but it's your truck do whichever would suit your needs best!! :rockwoot:

Well unless you do all 6 you have no way of being 100% ...... The hottest spot so I have been told is #6. So back by 5-6 is the best place to get a reading from .... if its in the "safe" zone then everything else should be fine ......

By going post turbo you are 300-400* low and the "lag" from manifold to the probe ...... Just my thoughts on it ......

I put mine on #6 just letting you know since you asked a question.
Brandon

Big12Valve said:
ok this doesnt make much sense...my friend did the same except he put his after 1 & 2....after he drilled into the center and completely messed his manifold up. this makes no sense why monitor 2 or 3 cylinders when there are rest that could have individual problems??

Unless you add a spacer or grind out the divider in the manifold you can only read either the front or rear three cylinders. Or run two pyros, one in the front half and one in the back.

Back