what actually allows the 5.9 to live at 6k rpm?

Recently, Zeus. Otherwise, ppump. 5500 is easy. 6k seems to be magic like you say. I'm happy hearing the monotherms are happy. I wasn't sure if that's what was causing the latest round of failure.

In timing, you're talking specifically about the injection events starting exactly 120.000 degrees from each other?

Why care if it spins more than 5500....IF, your short on paper, you make it up in gearing or tire dia. Getting wheel speed up here is lots cheaper than finding reliablity out past 5500. Looking at that curve on a engine dyno would prob. have you not wanting to turn it any tighter any how.

Ryan

You're right that I shouldn't care. Dyno shows this cam is out of the water @ ~4900 with peak at 4450. New cams are going in now and each is a bit more radical. That's why I'm looking to build in a bit of insurance/efficiency.

Basically I'm ignoring the limitations of the factory cummins head. This is also insurance for when the rev limiter needs to shut the engine down >6250rpm when the trans breaks or the drive shaft decides to enter orbit.

Brandon, give that shop I PM'd you a call and ask about a billet crank like you are wanting (possibly even changing the firing order). They turn out 100's of them out of 300M for tractors. I'm sure they could give you a price anyways...

Brandon, give that shop I PM'd you a call and ask about a billet crank like you are wanting (possibly even changing the firing order). They turn out 100's of them out of 300M for tractors. I'm sure they could give you a price anyways...
I'll see if I can't catch a break tomorrow and give them a call. Thanks for the lead.

I'll see if I can't catch a break tomorrow and give them a call. Thanks for the lead.

Do they give multi discounts....got a friend that thinks we should try some land speed racing with the new truck when it's done....:D

Chris

Do they give multi discounts....got a friend that thinks we should try some land speed racing with the new truck when it's done....:D

Chris

You don't need RPM for LSR, you need HP!!! Find where the motor makes peak HP, and gear around that. It's best if you don't have to use an overdrive, but that it's realy feasible for our trucks. Tires are huge problem too.

With readily available driveline parts and a little less 1000HP a 2nd gen should do 200 @ 4500RPM. But areodymanics really become an issue, Jesel has a 3rd gen gasser that is over 250 MPH!!!! and over 200 in the standing mile!!! They are a bit more slippery through the air too.

I have spent the past couple years (yes while the truck was in the shop) formulating a plan for this and doing A LOT of research and talking to some LSR guys. Even got a few parts sitting on a shelf, ready for install. Just ran out of cash...maybe I shouldn't have gotten married. :lolly:

Last edited:
Well without an additional OD, I'm geared for 205mph at 5500RPM....I'm also hoping to make a bit more power than that.

This is a long way off, heck the truck isn't even out of the welding shop from getting the cage done...for 4 months...

Chris

What tires are you planning to use? LSR tires are EXPENSIVE and hard to come by, street/race tires won't tech at those speeds, unless you get the weight down to that of a Corvette.

not to derail or anything?

That's the only thing I hadn't looked into....but I can fit almost anything in the rear, up to about 38" x 22"

Chris

typical LSR tire is about 26x6 and $500 (Goodyear only makes 100 or so a year too).
but they still are not rated for a heavy truck, so a light truck and tall gearing is in order even if you plan to run a race tire, must meet tech for speed and weight ratings. and all that airflow under the truck will need to be cleaned up. food for thought.

typical LSR tire is about 26x6 and $500 (Goodyear only makes 100 or so a year too).
but they still are not rated for a heavy truck, so a light truck and tall gearing is in order even if you plan to run a race tire, must meet tech for speed and weight ratings. and all that airflow under the truck will need to be cleaned up. food for thought.

Sheesh....well I'll be needing an OD.

The rest of the stuff I've kinda thought about, but we haven't got too serious....yet

Chris

look at how much some of these streamliners weigh. they are HEAVY suckers. weight is free downforce at a venue with a basically unlimited space.

mickey thompsoin makes tires too. but they are a once a year, prepay kind of deal too.

When harmonics are the issue then wieght is your friend. The lighter it is the less there is to absorb the pulses and vibrations and can lead to a resonance that will lead to destruction. I can see what you are saying about not having the bad pulses in the first place but not sure you can find away around that. Would be very interested in knowing how that turns out.

When harmonics are the issue then wieght is your friend. The lighter it is the less there is to absorb the pulses and vibrations and can lead to a resonance that will lead to destruction. I can see what you are saying about not having the bad pulses in the first place but not sure you can find away around that. Would be very interested in knowing how that turns out.
Been kicking it around with Kevin. He keeps telling me the I6 is the most resonant he's seen. Guess I can add weight to the crank and then take it back off by going to a stripped 4l60e.

Sorry, but why do you need that many rpms again? LSR racing? huh? Goin to bonny-ville?

Back