What are the limitations of a 24v valve train with high lift cam?

Sportster1208

I'm doing research to decide on a future build for my pulling truck and have been warned that anything over a .500-.550 lift cam needs a head girdle to safely stay together. I'm really not sure what recommendations are at what hp levels roller type engine is required. My initial idea was to go with something like a 234/254 Scheid Large intermediate cam I believe they are around a .370 lift cam. I'm not firmiliar with numbers on some of the other cams out there so I have nothing to compare. In the end I'm trying to decide if financially it's worth staying with the 24v or selling everything and going 12v. With the way 2.6 rules around here nothing is uniform and if money permits I'm considering trying to build a 3.0 engine because we all know its not going anywhere. I'm not saying I'm looking to beat a Haisley or Scheid engine because there's a few playing around here but I'd like to be able to hold my own if that makes sense. Can I do it with a 24v without having to spend more money then I'd have in a 12v an be further ahead?

I would talk to will ( got milk?) On here I believe he would have a some information for you

I would talk to will ( got milk?) On here I believe he would have a some information for you

Thanks Scott, yeah I have a pretty good idea of what his last engine contained he was one of the guys that mentioned anything over a 234/254 and it'll cost an extra 5k dollars to run it. With that cam i know of a 2.6 truck over 1200hp on a stand, thats pretty impressive. Hey off topic you guys put together a good running truck this year congrats.

Get ahold of Patrick O'Bryant. He has worked on a 24V 3.0 truck that puts out some impressive numbers.

Get ahold of Patrick O'Bryant. He has worked on a 24V 3.0 truck that puts out some impressive numbers.

Thanks Zstroken, I know they are out there I'd just like some defining lines of do's and don't so I know how far I can push the limits before having major failures. I know someone else already paid the piper doing the R&D just wondering if there's a solid answer.

Thanks Scott, yeah I have a pretty good idea of what his last engine contained he was one of the guys that mentioned anything over a 234/254 and it'll cost an extra 5k dollars to run it. With that cam i know of a 2.6 truck over 1200hp on a stand, thats pretty impressive. Hey off topic you guys put together a good running truck this year congrats.

Thanks man we have had a awesome year thanks to alot of input from the right people. I can't wait to see your truck done, we will be at the buck this weekend to pull their 3.0 class stop by if your there.

Thanks man we have had a awesome year thanks to alot of input from the right people. I can't wait to see your truck done, we will be at the buck this weekend to pull their 3.0 class stop by if your there.

I want to get it out and try a few pulls with it the way it is but I'm sure I'm gonna be lacking till I can match the engine to the rest of my setup. I've been building in stages as the money allows so we will see what the future holds. If I get my intercooler piping done maybe I'll give it a go!

I don't think that Scheid cam had quit that much lift. I can check that off of the broken one I have laying around. Rumor on the street is the grin an bair it truck is the highest hp 2.6 motor and its 24v. Wether it is or not I don't know but it runs damn good. My Hamilton cam is the 220/240 and has .360 lobe lift. Do the math with the rocker ratio puts it around .480-.490 valve lift. I don't know about the valvetrain girdle for a 24v as I have not seen one. My opinion the biggest pain is the intake setup and injector lines complicating things. Getting a proper set of competition injectors is not as easy but can be had.

Mine seems to run pretty good considering its NOT a no expense spared build.

My 2.6 truck is a 24v with a big billet cam. 2 seasons on it with not issues and I'm not running a rocker girdle or anything. I wouldn't really worry about going roller unless you're building a super stock.

It's hard to beat the simplicity of a 12v. I've worked on some 24v's lately, just no way I would want one for a pulling truck for the fact of what it takes to work on them. I can change injectors in our pulling truck in 20 minutes or less. Compare that to a few hours in a 24v. I pulled the head on a 08 6.7 this weekend. Props to the CR guys because I couldn't work on them all the time.:lolly:

I don't think that Scheid cam had quit that much lift. I can check that off of the broken one I have laying around. Rumor on the street is the grin an bair it truck is the highest hp 2.6 motor and its 24v. Wether it is or not I don't know but it runs damn good. My Hamilton cam is the 220/240 and has .360 lobe lift. Do the math with the rocker ratio puts it around .480-.490 valve lift. I don't know about the valvetrain girdle for a 24v as I have not seen one. My opinion the biggest pain is the intake setup and injector lines complicating things. Getting a proper set of competition injectors is not as easy but can be had.

Mine seems to run pretty good considering its NOT a no expense spared build.

I believe I have the injectors taken care of thanks to Weston he hooked me up, my head has already been P&P through East Coast Diesel I'm just lacking the runner intake yet so cutting my intake is in the plans.

It's hard to beat the simplicity of a 12v. I've worked on some 24v's lately, just no way I would want one for a pulling truck for the fact of what it takes to work on them. I can change injectors in our pulling truck in 20 minutes or less. Compare that to a few hours in a 24v. I pulled the head on a 08 6.7 this weekend. Props to the CR guys because I couldn't work on them all the time.:lolly:

I can change injectors in probably 1/2hr by using a mini screw driver and just popping my connector tubes out far enough to clear, I don't pull the lines completely. I know there's a few threads claiming the 24v head flows more efficiently then a 12v, my main concern is reliability and where the threshold gets pushed. I like the fact I'm hearing more and more success with the guys that are running the 24v's than I thought.

I believe I have the injectors taken care of thanks to Weston he hooked me up, my head has already been P&P through East Coast Diesel I'm just lacking the runner intake yet so cutting my intake is in the plans.

Well that's good cause he hooked me up with a set also. Lol. My head still has the stock intake on it also.

20 min on a 12V
25min on a 24V

It seems the most common of the 24v cam shafts I've read are the
200/220 109lsa, .340-.360 steel cam
220/240 106.5lsa, .360-.360 steel cam
234/254 ???, .300-.300 cast I believe
232/252 105.5, .370-.370 steel cam

Then there's the Haisley and Scheid cams that unless you buy it you probably won't get specs.

We have been working on a 24V truck. It is around 1100hp, and we do not have anything special for a camshaft yet. We have a reground core, we started conservative. Next is to jump up to a billet. I don't think you should have any problems with the valve train if it is setup correctly. My company manufactures billet cams, if you want a price send me a PM.

We have been working on a 24V truck. It is around 1100hp, and we do not have anything special for a camshaft yet. We have a reground core, we started conservative. Next is to jump up to a billet. I don't think you should have any problems with the valve train if it is setup correctly. My company manufactures billet cams, if you want a price send me a PM.

At some point I will sit down with someone and talk about my complete plans and build and discuss what I already have and my options. I am trying to do my research before I shoot myself in the foot. It's not going the biggest and baddest as much as getting everything to work together and match at this point.

That's exactly what was done on this truck. He has to run it in the 3.0 class around here because there isn't much 2.6 classes. He is thinking about going 3.0 just because of that, but he will stay 24V. When you decide which way you want to go give me shout. We build all our Tool Steel Cores in house. We can do just about anything. We are also going to be working on rockers arms too.

Back