what clutch to choose?

powermad

trevor
well according to the previous owner of my truck i have a valair clutch rated for 550hp. the other day when i was getting on the freeway i felt it slipping in 4th gear. i dont think im over 550hp so now im thinking i was lied to about the clutch thats in it. with that being said i dont race or tow much but i do want a clutch that will not burn up with my current mods. what clutch do you guys recommend? thanks in advance!

my mods to the engine are-
-5x.12 sac injectors
-191dv
-4000gsk
-no plate
-and all the other standard pump mods
-62/65/12 turbo

A clutch is only good to it's rated capacity if it is broken in correctly. 90% of the time people do not follow a correct break in procedure. If you don't plan on towing with it a single disk should be fine. But the ceramic units can be a bit grabby and hard on input shafts. If you can swing the extra green then a dual disk is a much smoother clutch and has more holding capacity

I like to go fast

whats the deal with the luk clutches? my cousin has a $200 luk clutch... his set up is hx40, 100 plate and cranked starwheel on a 180hp pump, so hes not throwing much power at it but he does tow a 16k trailer on a regular basis and beats on the truck pretty hard. 20000 miles on the clutch and hasnt slipped once. theres too much money already in my nv4500 to go try a cheap clutch, just wondering if anyone knows anything about them.

valair inc clutch..

second to none, the boys will set you up with what you need, and in your case I am confident that they will help you make it right.. clutch depends on your driving style and what your hp is... I think you were duped on the clutch... I doubt it was a valair...

I've been through a lot of single discs. Never tried a south bend personally, been through a couple of luk, and a bunch of valair. Man if you can swing the cash, get a dual disc. Will save you a lot of time and headaches

I went out on a test run today just to see if I could get it to slip again, I'm beginning to think it's a fueling issue. Im still on the stock lift pump. The clutch behaves like a duel disk with how grabby it is and how hard it is to push the clutch in. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge. I'd rather spend the 250 on that instead of 1200

Might check the hydraulic side of things too - one of my trucks that was the issue. I got a dual disc South Bend clutch I was happy with in a 98 I had, and plenty of other guys around me that make good power have good things to say about valair.

Owner @ Power Automotive. ASE Master, L1, T2. Pretty much a Cummins fan, but I fix them all 50+ hours a week.

Back