Votes: 61 40.7%
  • 5th low for the 5600s

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • 2nd hi

Votes: 30 20.0%

• Total voters
wildmanben said:
3.55 gears and a 33" tire
I'll have to give 4th low another try as it didn't work so well for me the first time. 3rd low just doesn't seem fast enough, especially on tight tracks. What RPM are you leaving the hole at?

Joe

wildmanben said:
Yeah I am still running the 5 sp. Heres the gear and mph chart:
3rd lo 22mph
2nd hi 33mph
4th lo 37 mph
This is at 4000 rpm. Is 37 too fast?

Not if it is working for you. I am running a very similar setup to your motor with 31" tires and 3.55 gears and have been thinking about trying a faster gear so far I have been using 3rd low but I am also in the process of tuning the truck and getting all the gremlins out so I figure until I get it running and pulling down the track like I want it to I will keep it at 3rd. I see you have the SB 3850 CB how far are you slipping the clutch out of the hole to get it lit with that speed? And do you have any videos of you pulling in that gear on the web I would like to compare that to what mine is doing.

Last edited:
RedPuller said:
What RPM are you leaving the hole at?

Joe

As high as you can Joe, the go pedal should be on the fire wall before letting the clutch out, 4th low with 4:10's you have to have the R's :)

I dunno about you NV4500 guys but I have an NV5600 with a SBC 3850 12CB clutch, 3.54 gears with 35" tires with about 550 hp I pull 4th-Low most of the time.

That puts me at 13.38 final drive ratio and I am turning about 3600rpms down the track at 28mph wheel speed. This works on tight tracks but the really loose tracks I go to 2nd-High for a little more wheels speed.

I pull in fourth gear low range, with 4.10's and 32"-33" tall tires. That is good for 28.3-30.7 mph.

-Tom

BigBadDodge said:
As high as you can Joe, the go pedal should be on the fire wall before letting the clutch out, 4th low with 4:10's you have to have the R's :)
Well, with my 3.54 gear set, 4th low is just a risky attempt after what happened in Tulare.:bang Maybe if Brian allows any extra/exhibition runs @ Ukiah, I'll give it a shot, but 3rd low seemed to be the ticket @ Pahrump and Vegas.

Joe

JOHNBOY said:
I was going by the numbers on the stick.

1 Granny gear
2 Regular 1st gear
5 1:1
6 overdrive

Ok that makes sense, our sticks just read different, mine starts with L for the granny gear then 1-5.

RedPuller said:
Well, with my 3.54 gear set, 4th low is just a risky attempt after what happened in Tulare.:bang Maybe if Brian allows any extra/exhibition runs @ Ukiah, I'll give it a shot, but 3rd low seemed to be the ticket @ Pahrump and Vegas.

Joe

Try second high if you think you need more gear or stick with third low and get some more RPM. Fourth low with 3.54's is not a viable option, unless you had 26" tall tires.

-Tom

BigBadDodge said:

I may have to try that tomorrow night and see if it helps my bouncying problems...

So with a 6-speed and 5000rpm plus and a good amount of HP...what gear do you think? From my calculations at 5K I would have wheel speed in 4th low of 35mph and in 2nd high of 39mph and if I were to jump to 5th low it would be up to 48mph.

I can see guys that don't have the RPM wanting to jump up gears but at the same time putting clutches, main shafts and other components in major problems.

So lets hear it...with the higher rpm guys...what gear be it a 5 or 6 speed.

RyanB

gear

I normally run 3rd low.. 285's and redline box!!!! I tried 4low once it didnt work so well , tight track...

wildmanben said:
Well 4th low got me 1st last night with 346.7 ft. Truck ran really good...

What RPM did you leave the hole at, and did she bounce :)

The 271 works great, nice upgrade :)

BBD

I left the hole at 4200, it didnt bounce much, it started to and then got out of it. I put more air in the tires and seemed to do the trick... Yeah the 271 is great.

Back