What good is a drain plug?

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
When you can't remove the damn thing?

IMG_20110102_142208.jpg

I used my 18v 3/8" impact, 3/8" air ratchet, a normal ratchet, and the allen wrench. This is the drain plug in my mag hytec pan on my tranny. I only ever go hand tight and it's always been a bear to get off but never this bad. Any of yall have this problem?

I always anti-seize dissimilar metals. Try to warm the pan around the drain plug with a torch. If you can get the pan to expand slightly it will back out easier.

I always anti-seize dissimilar metals. Try to warm the pan around the drain plug with a torch. If you can get the pan to expand slightly it will back out easier.

FTW, I have found plan old gasket maker works also!
Brandon

Well in another 20k miles I'll try that but for now I just dropped the pan. I forgot how much that sucked.

I had the same problem.I used a dull wood chisel and a hammer.Hacked it a little but diddnt hurt it at all.If you use heat be ready for a new rubber o ring gasket.Use anti seize.If you have a helper turn the allen and hit it with a screw driver or dull chisel at the same time.

Mine was a bit sticky too. i welded a crowbar to it so i could use both hands. I think the heat loosened it up though. Came off pretty easy after that.

I always pull the sending unit out of the side, only leaves a few inches in the bottom. I quit trying to get mine out when snap-on quit replacing my bits.

The drain plug in my mag hytec pan is also a real pain. I've broke 2 bits on it. I finally took the edge of a small chisel and put a little dimple in it so I can tap it with a hammer.

Mine never was a problem...of course I put 15K miles on it in almost 4 years, and either the tranny was out or I changed the oil every 5K miles:hehe: :hehe:

Not the tranny's fault, just mine!
Chris

If I remember the next time I'll do that jory but knowing me I'll completely forget and end up posting a thread like this again LOL

Back