This is out of my friend's 99 7.3.

#3 cylinder
photo.jpg
[/IMG]

#4 cylinder
photo-1.jpg
[/IMG]

#4 had a bent pushrod and the messed up injector

#3, couldnt find what made the indentions. Appears to blowing coolant threw one of the head bolt holes. It was full of coolant but know obvious sources.

Any ideas on what happened?

Have you got the piston out yet. You looks to me that it broke a ring and that is what pounded the piston top and caused the bent push rod. Check out the turbo to because the pieces like to eat up the turbine on their way out.

The cylinder with the bent pushrod had the carbon covered injector.

The broke ring cylinder was pushing coolant threw the head gasket into a head bolt hole, and into the enigne.

Well, I'm going to assume that your buddy wasn't the original owner of the truck or at one point he paid someone else to replace the injectors in his truck. The only way that injector could have gotten scored like that is while it was out of the truck, that part of the injector is protected in the injector cup. I'm assuming that someone pulled the injectors at one point and thats when that injector got boogered up. Following that logic, i'm betting something was dropped down in cylinder 3 and the damage was caused at that point.

Where were you finding coolant? Did you see coolant leaking around a head bolt? Did the head gaskets look ok? You may have a crack in the head or the block if you cant find an issue with the head gasket. Given the damage to the injecor and piston, i'd be suspect of a lot of things.

Is there a chunk of missing glow plug, by chance?

Something pogo-sticked on that piston a few times, that's for certain.

Glow plug was intact, didnt hit the charger on its way out whaterver it was.

Bent pushrod prolly threw the valve timing outa wack and thats why that injector is all sooted up. Without seeing it in person that does look like a broken ring got into the combustion chamber.

We finished tearing it down. No broke rings, it was spraying out of the bowl though.

what about the chunk that looks like it is missing from the bottom (in the first picture) of the bowl of the piston?

Can u post a pic with that piston at TDC? How do the valves look in the heads? Are any of them sitting farther in the heads like the seat may be gone?

In the very center, my Iphon has a piss pore camera. No missing chunks in the piston.

Ill see about getting a pic this weekend of the head.

When we pulled the right head (even # bank) the last bolt was on the front outside corner. The inside rear of the head was about 1/4" off the deck. May be some warpage here:hehe:

Gotta get the 7.3's pretty stinkin hot to warp a head . . .especially that much.

The injector that was carboned . . .was it just the tip of the injector, or was the carbon on the body above the copper washer?

The damage to the piston may have come previously. . .like if the glow plug had failed at an earlier date.

Keep us posted

To me it doesn't look like carbon of the injector. I pulled apart a stroke that sat with water in it and it look exactly the same. The tip has carbon on it but above the copper washer its shiny. I am curious to know what beat the piston up though since you said the rings were intact??? Makes a guy wonder.

The carbon built up went past the washer but, it didnt go past the 1st oring.

I was thinking that a glow plug had failed earlier. The owner is a friend and is a Ford mechanic. He said the glow plugs appear to be original. Hard to say will all the grease and mud accumulation on them though.

He is a little rough on ****.

He thinks nitrous backfires are cool. Im pretty sure thats what bent the exhaust valve.

Back