What in the World would cause this???

weazel

5th gear killer
ok, so i was out trying to get the uppipes sealed to the turbo when i started hearing a crackling noise.. lifted my piece of cardboard i was laying on to find that the alternator was catching itself on fire!! burned the hell outta my fingers trying to get the wires unplugged from the dern thing.. other than chaffing the hot lead to the alternators case, where else should i look to check for issues? the only thing ive messed with is the turbo..

While you were laying on it you probably put enough pressure on it to pinch the outer coating and it shorted out on the alt. casing. I know that it would be pretty easy to do and if you only had cardboard protecting it that is probably what happened. Take a good look at those wires and I bet there is a bare spot.

ok, i bet youre right.. ill check it out when it cools off outside. it shouldnt have messed up the alternator itself, would it?

It may have but take it off and get it tested before you run it. I had one that shorted out about 2500 worth of modules and stuff in a car once. It is an easy and cheap insurance to make sure it messes up the tester rather than your truck.

lol yeah thats a good idea! luckily ive got another alternator so i may just patch up the wires and throw this other one on just for safe measure... thanks for the help!

Back