What is the smallest S4T Exhaust housing??

Powerstroke Cowboy

Boost is energy held back
I would like to know, What would the Smallest Exhaust Housing A Person could get for s S4T Turbo with a 110/98 turbine wheel??

And were could I find one at??

The smallest I can find is a 1.15 A/R. T6,, But I have heard they make them smaller and with a T4. Is this true??

Any Help would be great!!!!

Thanks!!!

David

I was talking to someone, cant remember who, but they said they had a 1.0 housing made. I still have my 1.15:bigsmile:

Last edited:
I was talking to someone, cant remember who, but they said they had a 1.0 housing made. I still have my 1.15:bigsmile:

A 1.00 Would be really nice!! But If i cant come up with anything that small I may go for the 1.15. Thanks for the offer!

Right now I have a 1.27 A/R on it.

Trying to make it a single?

Yes I am thinking about trying it as a single. As it sits now with a 1.27 A/r It would make a great top charger.

What I would like is a housing in the 1.00 A/R range. Maybe even smaller if they make one. Then Put a QSV on it to help it start spooling sooner.

I "was" going to go with compounds, BUT I am not shore yet. I still might go that way though.

Just would like to try it as a BIG single and see how that works.

So any Info would be great!!!

Thanks for looking!!

David

No one has any idea???

With all the compound set ups on this site, I would think somebody would know.

I think in this case it would either be good to use Weston's quick spool valve, or find a large AR like the 1.45 divided (iirc) and block off the inducer side all together.

The 1.15 is as small as I have seen, and even that is not all that common. I personally don't like this charger much, it is kind of a slug (lights and spools slowly) and from the few I have seen come apart, they come apart at fairly low boost (45-50psi will do it).

I think in this case it would either be good to use Weston's quick spool valve, or find a large AR like the 1.45 divided (iirc) and block off the inducer side all together.

The 1.15 is as small as I have seen, and even that is not all that common. I personally don't like this charger much, it is kind of a slug (lights and spools slowly) and from the few I have seen come apart, they come apart at fairly low boost (45-50psi will do it).

Thanks for the info and ideas!!! I am going to use a QSV (Quick Spool Valve) with the 1.27 A/R Housing. But would prefer a 1.15 A/R or smaller and still use a QSV. I would do like you said and get a 1.45 A/R and then just block one side. BUT I would like to be able to use a QSV to make the housing "smaller" then have it start to open after a certain boost number, To help keep back pressure in hand. Would not the back pressure get to high if I were to weld one side of the housing shut??

Another thing IF needed I will waste gate the turbo to keep it lower then 40PSI. Shot at 30 PSI this turbo would flow more air then I need. But I want the 38 to 40 PSI to help "pack" the air into the cylinders.

You say that a lot of the S4T you have seen go to pieces at low boost. Like 45 to 50PSI?? Would that not be from the BIG and heavy comp wheel?? These wheel are not just big but they are THICK tho!!! almost a 1/8 of an inch thick at the inducer of the wheel!!!! So I can see why they do not like high shaft speed! I wonder if a Billet wheel would help it any. It would be a lot less weight and mass to move and less stress on the shaft.

a 1.45 A/R housing in half would be a, .72 A/R
The 1.27 A/R would be a ----------- .63 A/R
And the 1.15 A/R would be a--------- .57 A/R

So do you think If I kept the 1.27 A/R OR bought a 1.15 A/R AND used a QSV, I could get it to spool to be half way street able?? and pull with it to??

Just tossing my thoughts out here.

Thanks Again!!!

Streetable not really, but it might be usable.

LOL That is kind of what I thought. But There is only one way to find out.

I might just stick with The compound set up I am almost done building. Just thought if I could use the S4T as a BIG single. then I would not worry about the second turbo..

Thanks For your Help!!!!

David

I had a twin setup on my 7.3 using the s4t with the 1.15 as the primary and it spooled very quick. I know there is a lot more displacement with the 7.3 vs. 5.9 but I would think it would be ok on a 5.9.

I guess I should have added. This turbo will be going on a 7.3L Powerstroke.

So between a small housing and the QSV. it "should" spool half ways OK. I guess I just need to be the Guinea pig :D

David

If this is going on a 7.3 then there is NO question that it will spool good and I wouldnt even bother with a QSV.

This is my truck with the twins hx55/s4t, from a dead stop in a street tune with 400/200 swamps injectors.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZTZW-xiBjs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZTZW-xiBjs[/ame]

Is the second gauge up the one for the S4T???

and the lower one the combined boost??

Seems to spool preaty good..

Yes your correct, the truck was an absolute blast to drive on the street, and it spooled even faster if you were rolling along.

Could you get it higher then 20 PSI if would have wanted to??

Seem like it took some RPM to get it to spool. Your had a 84 or 88mm inducer right??? the one I have is a 95mm Inducer..

If I can ask. Did you ever take the time to see when it started to boost?? Like at what RPMs would it start to light??? Could you get any boost out of it in first gear?? just stepping on it from a stand still??

Thanks!!!

David

Yes I would see 35psi in the hotter tunes. It was an 88 inducer and started to come on around 25-2700. It wouldnt come up on boost in 1st as it didnt load the engine hard enough for it to, when it went into 2nd it would come to life.

I would need the boost. to start coming on quicker then that. Like in the 1400 range.

So this turbo as asingle is out the window.. Thanks for you help..

David

What exactly are you trying to do with the truck? I have never seen a case that a big atmosphere is up and running that soon, heck a stock charger on a stock truck isnt there untill around 2k. Unless you run the truck like a big rig short shifting it and never runing over 2k I dont see the need for a big atmosphere charger to come to life so soon.

I would need the boost. to start coming on quicker then that. Like in the 1400 range.

So this turbo as asingle is out the window.. Thanks for you help..

David

FWIW, an 80/87/1.25 on my 5.9 hits around 3k rpm as a single. Granted, you have an extra 1.3 litres over my truck, you might still only be looking at a 20% reduction in spool up, so around 2400 rpm.

Back