What kind of boost should I be seeing?

Dbordenb

I have a 64/68 with a 13cm gated exhaust housing. It is an engineered diesel turbo with a spring actuated gate on the exhaust housing. During a hard pull, the highest boost I have been able to get is 29 psi. Is this normal for this size turbo?

It has 200 hp injectors and smarty tuning. Not UDC. The truck seems to like level 7 and 9 with the least amount of timing.

Last edited:
What kind of smoke do you have? I say heavy!Does it clear up? I say no! Did you check for boost leaks? Have you talked to Chris at E.D.? Find out what it's supposed to be set at on the wastegate. 40ish I would assume.

Yes, it does smoke pretty bad. I have to be pretty light footed down low to keep the smoke down but surprisingly, once it lights the smoke clears up to a light haze. I haven't checked for boost leaks yet.

I will give Chris a call tomorrow and talk to him about it.

Should be able to hit 40 easy. Either the tuning is limiting you, boost leak, or that gate works really well and it's popping open early. Righty tighty should get you more boost.

I finally had a little time to check for boost leaks and found one small one and fixed it. Max boost I was able to reach was 35 psi. Someone said tuning might be the issue and it got me wondering if smarty tunes have a boost fooler built into the tunes. Maybe the ecm is preventing higher boost by defueling?

I have also been playing with the idea of changing my turbo to a larger single. Something like a s467 or s472 with a .90 exhaust housing. I imagine it would spooler slower than what I have now but I am trying to find a way to lower my EGTs. How would those turbos pair with 200 hp injectors?

It's probably not the smarty. I get 55psi with a regular revo tune. Have you tried tightening up the spring gate? I would say 40-45 psi would be a good start with that turbo.

It's probably not the smarty. I get 55psi with a regular revo tune. Have you tried tightening up the spring gate? I would say 40-45 psi would be a good start with that turbo.

Yes, I tightened the spring gate as tight as I could get it. I still may be the problem though

If the truck is 04.5 or newer you need to make sure you have a waste gate fooler that will limit you power big time . Or at least it did on my 06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I checked for boost leaks I used soapy water and only found bubbles in one spot on the intake horn. However, the system would bleed off fairly quickly and I assumed that was normal as it leaked from the open valves. Now I'm wondering how long it should really hold air? Maybe there is a large leak in the intercooler that I couldn't find with the soapy water.

How does my 13cm housing compare to a .91 housing?

I'm wondering if switching would yield any difference in spool up and egts.

.91 is a t4 and bigger, would be going backwards for what you want. Also non gated I'm sure your aware. You ought to try just tying down the gate to eliminate that as the problem, maybe use a piece of tubing in place of the spring.

.91 is a t4 and bigger, would be going backwards for what you want. Also non gated I'm sure your aware. You ought to try just tying down the gate to eliminate that as the problem, maybe use a piece of tubing in place of the spring.

Yes, I wasn't sure if a non-gated was a good idea or not.
So with a bigger housing egts would decrease but it would spool slower, is that correct?

After looking at some pictures of spring gates and comparing them to mine I think the spring has already been removed and replaced with some washers. So it shouldn't be opening early.

What are you using to monitor boost? A mechanical gauge or something like an edge CTS? The smarty will fool the ecm and limit what the ecm will display for boost. Try a mechanical gauge if you are not using one. You may have more boost than you think.

What are you using to monitor boost? A mechanical gauge or something like an edge CTS? The smarty will fool the ecm and limit what the ecm will display for boost. Try a mechanical gauge if you are not using one. You may have more boost than you think.

I'm using my edge insight so that is good to know. I have a mechanical gauge I will hook up. Thanks

This or if you are hell bent on using the CTS get the EAS pressure unit for the CTS, I prefer mech tho

Back