What next?

jakemono

I pulled 453hp and 939lbft on the dyno last weekend looking for some guidance on what to do next and if I have what it takes to get it past mid 500's. I was hoping it had more. Truck is a dd and I don't tow very much if at all.

Mods
Weston 5x.014s
E.D. 64/71
ARP Studs
SBC Iron Giant w/ big input
191dv's
4k gsk
#100 Plate Full Forward
AFC and Starwheel Full Forward
Timed at 20.5

I'm making 50lbs on the street but I think I'm going to play with the wastegate and get it up around 55psi. Good port job and O-ring if I take the head off maybe a cam? I would really like to hit 600hp but I don't want to go larger single, and I don't have the money for twins so I think that's out of the question.

Nice numbers but i would think you would see more with what all you have done. Tuning your afc and a better fuel supply, i assume your using a stock lift pump

Your doing something wrong... I made 456 with quite a bit less

Edit for mods: stock DV's, 4k gsk, no plate, tuned afc, rack plug, 75hp DDP 2's. Super hx40, 21* timing, airdog 150.

Last edited:
AFC mods, and fuel feed to the injection pump.

I've got 63/68/.88 T4
20deg, smokem 5x14, 181's in 131 seats, AFC mods per smokem, 0 plate FF, heavy TST spring in afc pulled fairly tight, housing full forward, 4k

42-45psi, gated - 522whp

i was just gonna say......thats a non load dyno, you need to get on custom auto's dyno and run it, you HAVE to be over 500 with those mods Jake

i figured you would've put down more with that setup, im looking at running a 64/71 and hoping to be in the mid to high 500s

I personally would take it to the drag strip and scale the truck at the track or stop by a truck stop and calculate the actual average hp from the run based on weight and MPH. My 95' Junker is averaging 520-530 to the wheels, that's with Rack Plug, 25* Timing, 5x.018's, DDP DV's, and GT4294. Sure, I might be able to spike 550 on the dyno if the right person drove the truck just right, but in my case, the track average HP is a great determination of useable power.

My 98' 12 valve, I just ran it at the track and it calculated to a pathetic 285 HP. No need to spend $75-$100 to dyno it, instead I just spent $10 at the track and ran few times and I have a great deal of baseline power information.
Current mods on the 98', AFC modified, overflow valve modified, Marine 4 x .013 injectors, and a boost elbow. Timing is still stock, and I think it has 3K GSK but not sure.

One last bit of information, I used to own a 99'. It dyno'd 499.2 HP to the wheels. I thought wow, that sure is a bunch of HP! Took it to the track and it calculated to a measly 440 HP. Some of that can be attributed to my slow shifting but upon further analysis of my numerous time slips, I noticed that the truck really slowed down the last 330' of the track, it seemed like the truck just nosed over. What I came to realize is that although the truck was capable of 499 HP spikes on the dyno, it could only maintain about 450 HP to the wheels. The turbo was being pushed a little too hard and it was super heating the charge air eventually heat soaking the charge air cooler. A little bit of water injection would have really helped with that truck but it definitely couldn't run all day spitting out 500 HP to the wheels. It was a fun truck to hotrod but it definitely was not a practical drag racing machine.

In short, go to the track if you want to see what your engine really puts out. You might be pleasantly surprised, or you might be severely disappointed at least you will know for sure how well your modifications are working together.

I doubt his track times are going to be impressive while trying to shift an iron giant.

I guess I will have to make a trip to east Idaho or Utah to catch Custom Autos dyno. Gives me some time to play with my afc.

Yeah trying to row gears with that iron giant can be tricky sometimes. But someday I would like to atleast attempt to see what it would do in the quarter plus it looks like a blast.

I have heard mixed reviews about 191 DVs and nothing but good about 022s and 024s what's the big difference?

Also I'm curious about a Mack plug. Every site that has them listed said they don't do anything for the 215s. Is that true?

Thanks for the ideas guys atleast I have something to work with now.

Plenty of pump shops use a Mack plug on the 215 pumps. They can help. Lots of info on here.

Think about it. 215 pumps have retard notches. Just run enough timing to compensate.

Well I popped the head gasket. Tearing it down for a good fresh gasket, valve job, and o-rings... maybe a cam.

Back