What piston to run...

The early style is harder to melt, but wont make as much power.

Have you really noticed a power difference going from an 04.5-07 style to a 03-04 with no changes to fueling or other motor changes? If so, is that difference from the nozzles or pistons?

The QSB 480 is the most powerful 5.9 Cummins ever released and it used the 03-04 style.

I guess I just have a hard time believing the non re-entrant design makes more power. Thou I have been wrong before.

I just had my Pistons Akadized, I got back one 12 valve piston and my five HO 24 valve pistons! I had to grind the stuff off to get wrist pins in! This stuff is like iron, does not wear off. So waiting to see what happened to my piston and have one 12 valve I can't use!
Rick

Who did your coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while pulling a 36ft gooseneck and not paying attention to the road.

Yes, there is a pretty big difference in power between the two designs. I know a few poeple that have seen 100-150hp difference between the two during testing.

Excellent tech discussion, im liken it:pop:.

As you were gentlemen.

Off subject allittle but are the qsb480 pistons good for a ppump 24v puller? I'm still debating on what piston to use in my rebuild this winter

I'm waiting to hear back from Eric on the marine 24v bowl, but if it were a choice between the CR pistons, 04.5-07 it would be.

I still can't get over the fact that this kid is whining about $0.59!!!!!!

I'm waiting to hear back from Eric on the marine 24v bowl, but if it were a choice between the CR pistons, 04.5-07 it would be.

10-4. I got the cam And valvetrain taken care Of so once I get pistons I can get the block to the machine shop but we still got plenty of time

The 03-04 pistons are a re-entrant design which improves combustion airflow and reduces the crown temp of the piston.. simply they are harder to melt, where the 04.5-07 stock pistons are easier to melt than any other Cummins piston and are only used in the Dodge application for emissions reasons.. the other high hp ISB's use the 03-04 style.

03vs05.jpg

X2
Good Illustrations.
Lowdiesel i have a set of 03-04 pistons for sale for a good price.

I agree with Smokem and Blacksdieselhp on this. The 03-04 re-entrant piston is more resistant to melting, but the 04.5 - 07 piston will make more hp.

Paul

I agree with Smokem and Blacksdieselhp on this. The 03-04 re-entrant piston is more resistant to melting, but the 04.5 - 07 piston will make more hp.

Paul

I will take less hp to be able to create it elsewhere. If that makes sense.

Back