what required to run 140hp chip?

qssc

my buddy has a 97 powerstroke and the boy gave him a dp tuner chip with it but said he never put it in because he never got to do the fuel upgrades. what all would be required to run it on 140hp? when he said fuel upgrades, does it need a lift pump or injectors or both? and will he need any trans upgrades to hold this power? i ask because i know the newer ones will hold a chip on a stock trans. and he doesnt know because its his work truck and his DD is a lbz d-max. thanks for any help

You'll need at least stage 1 injectors. You'll get by with the stock HPOP but a HPOP out of a 7.3 superduty will be better. Do the standard mods also, down pipe, exhaust, intake, an intercooler will help egt's alot. As for the tranny, at least add a shift kit and if you have the funds add a torque converter. Also talk to Jody at Dp Tuner about the chip. He's a good guy to deal with.

To run it on the highest setting

Gauges
Trans work
Fuel pump
The rods may not like it too muh either.

I'm running DP Tuner's 140 hp chip. I have the 5 speed and the stock clutch has worked just fine so far. As Daniel said get gauges. I think your stock rods will be fine also.

I guess I should clarify, make sure the chip is tuned with the stock rods in mind

Maybe the powerstrokes I have been in contact with arent as strong as yours. I didnt say OMG its going to blow up, just a caution.

the general rule of thumb is 500ish hp max on forged rods, some have pushed it much farther than that.. A chip on an obs will be less than half that hp.

All you really need is an exhaust with downpipe, gauges and intake, but yes you will not be getting the full potential of the chip, if he really wants the full 140 he will need injectors, turbo, big oil, fuel system etc. thats why with a TW chip they dont give horsepower numbers because every truck experiences a different power gain

how hard is it to put stage 1 injectors in and how much do they cost?

how hard is it to put stage 1 injectors in and how much do they cost?

Not hard at all really I just pulled my stock ones out today and am sending them off to get rebuilt to stage 1s it was pretty easy

I had all the basic mods done like exhaust and intake and with my dp chip on the 140hp setting the truck would fall on its face. I dont have that problem any more lol but it was to much for a stock engine.

Back