what the

Sabbath5.9

Neato niceo airplane glue
what is my trans doing. ok so ill explain. stock trans. (mods are in the signuture) i had these mods for 2 years now, the trans never slipped. ever. so since it got cold this winter its been acting like a retard. when the truck is cold. it shifts perfectly fine. after about 45 minutes of driving. 2nd into 3rd gear. it doesnt want to shift unless i let off the gas. and shifts fine every other gear. so i checked my fluid. it was a little below max. so i put a quart in. now the trans shifted fine. but say i need pass someone. it will drop all the way down into 2nd and rev like a ***** then id have to let off to shift. anyone have any idea of what its doing.

Sounds weird. I would say the TPS, but normally that will only cause you to drop down into 3rd. It doesent have anything to do with 2nd gear. Are you sure its going into 2nd gear and not 3rd?

Eric

if i jump on it at 45mph that would bring it to.... i think 2nd??? possibly 3rd.

Mine will go about 45-50mph turning barely over 3k in 2nd gear I believe. 3rd will run about 80 or so. If you have 4:10's, i dont think you can run 50 in 2nd. lol

Eric

hmmm. stupid transmission. hahha. time for a test drive. ill post in a couple

Most likely your TPS just crapped out. Mine did that when the TPS went bad. It would just randomly do it.

Do the potentiometer mod and you'll have it fixed for about $4 and your overdrive will be adjustable then.

Eric

They will do that sometimes if you have a bad seal in the trans and it won't shift right if pedal is down until you lift your foot alittle then it will shift. I had this happen on my stock 96 trans when I first had it.

what the hell is the potentiometer mod

A simple and awesome mod!

Here is the best thread on it:

Installing a Potentiometer in place of the TPS - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

You can get the stuff at radio shack for less than $5, and this gives you the option of adjusting your overdrive shift point to the MPH you want it at. This link shows installing it on a 1st gen, but its basically identical on a 2nd gen.

There are a few ways this operates different than a stock TPS

- It always shifts to overdrive at the same MPH regardless of if you are WOT or towing
- It wont downgear out of overdrive under heavy throttle
- You can adjust it

I think those are the main differences. If I am racing I usually just use my O/D off button to hold it out of overdrive until I want it to shift. I do the same thing If I am running 60 or so and want to downgear to 3rd to pass or whatever. I ran the knob in the cab and you can adjust the o/d shift point from about 35-70 or so. So normally I have it set to shift about 45mph, but when im towing, I set it on up to 55 or so to keep it from lugging. It also downgears out of O/D quicker this way which is also nice for towing as it slows you down faster and keeps you from lugging much.

Its really just a great mod all around. Its especially great if you are looking at a $150 TPS, or doing this:woohoo:

Just ask if you have more questions, but i love mine

Eric

Depending on miles it could just need to b flushed and possibly a filter change. My 97 would hold gears until i let of the throttle...

The POT mod took about twenty to thirty minutes from start to finish. Thats with soldering the wires to connectors, heat shrinkin everything together, finding a plce to mount the POT and then adjusting it to where you want it to shift.

i might have to drive out to kentucky to get some help with this LOL

What do you need help with. Maybe able to walk ya through it.

Come on out, Ill get the soldering Iron hot, and there is a radio shack about 5 minutes from my house. lol

Eric

can it have anything to do with the convertor locking up??? im just trying to figure out which is best to do before i start buying things. today this is what the trans did. first when it was cold it shifted hard into 2nd. hard into 3rd. and fine the rest of the shifts ( now this is when the truck was cold. ) when the truck warmed up. 1st to 2nd acted weird. 2nd to 3rd i had to let off. 3rd to 4th rev'd a little higher then usual. and overdrive was fine.

Back